Administrative Assistant: Full Time
- Job posted by Rose Foundation for Communities and the Environment
Details: Full time, non-exempt position.
201 4th Street
For nearly 25 years, the Rose Foundation has supported grassroots initiatives that inspire community action to protect the environment, public health and consumers. Our community-based grassroots grantmaking approach has earned national recognition, and our advocacy and educational programs have helped save the Headwaters Forest, build the green investing movement and train the next generation of environmental justice leaders through community engagement with local high school students.
The Administrative Assistant plays a vital role in supporting the business functions which underlay all of the Rose Foundation’s grantmaking and youth leadership programs, with a focus on bookkeeping, data management, human resources, IT support, and managing facilities and supplies.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate cares deeply about environmental conservation, social justice and consumer protection. S/he has an interest in a business career, solid attention to detail, and some experience in bookkeeping, human resources, IT and data management. S/he is an organized multi-tasker who is comfortable with a variety of software applications, and enjoys playing a supporting role in small highly-collaborative teams.
· Bookkeeping assistance: Processing and submit bi-weekly payroll to Paychex, and assist with monthly bank reconciliation. Process check requests (grants, vendors & contractors); maintain accounting portions of grants awarded databases; and prepare various financial reports including credit cards, investment gain/loss, and specific customized reports.
· Data Management: Coordinate regularly with grants team and assist with data entry to ensure data accuracy in Accounting and Grants Administration databases. Coordinate regularly with development team and assist with data entry to accurately maintain donors’ contact info in Donations and Accounting databases.
· Human resources: Track and administer employee benefits. Explain the organization’s policies, procedures and benefits to new employees; enroll eligible employees in health, vision, dental, FSA and pension plan; track benefits earned and used; and lead periodic update sessions with all employees to ensure that they understand how to use insurance and participate in 401K. Assist with hiring processes including outreach to publicize open positions, candidate evaluation, and smooth transition for exiting employees. Ensure that all HR policies and practices remain current and in compliance with state, federal and local law.
· IT support: Help staff regularly run routine systems operations and maintenance procedures; troubleshoot IT issues and provide in-house technical support; and manage outside IT and equipment vendors for more expert assistance – both on a scheduled basis and as-needed. Coordinate annual equipment upgrades, and periodic software updates or purchases.
· Facilities and Supplies: Point person in communications with building management, utility providers and vendors; coordinate purchase and organization of supplies, including food and drink for meetings; implement office security procedures and ensure that all staff understand them; manage janitorial services and play a leadership role in maintaining clean/organized appearance of the office.
· General Administrative Support: Assist with communications and meeting logistics, as well as general tasks including phone reception and visitor greeting. Generally assist other staff as needed, and as directed by Supervisor.
· At least an AA/AS (BA/BS preferred) with coursework centered around business administration, plus administrative experience in office settings, including bookkeeping, data management, HR and IT.
· Basic understanding of accounting principles and familiarity with accounting software. Proficient at MS Office and Google Docs, as well as database and website management.
· Commitment to environmental conservation and social justice. Ability to maintain a sense of humor and perspective while multi-tasking, a collaborative problem-solving approach, and the flexibility to help where help is needed in a small office dynamic.
· Must be willing to occasionally work some evenings and weekends, able to sit at a standard desk for periods of 2 hours or more, and lift up to 25 pounds.
The Rose Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity, and women, people of color and LGBTQ are encouraged to apply.
Benefits include vacation, family leave, full medical, dental and vision benefits, matched retirement savings, FSA, sabbatical program and professional development opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send your resume and a cover letter that specifically discusses why you want this job and how your education and past experience make you an excellent fit for the Rose Foundation and this position to: parauz[at]rosefdn.org. Please write “Administrative Assistant” in the subject line. Apply by April 30, 2018.
Note: After April 4, 2018, the Rose Foundation’s address will be:
201 4th Street, Suite 102
Oakland, CA 94607