Details: Range is $65,000 - $75,000 depending on experience
The Story of Stuff Project works to transform the way we make, use, and throw away Stuff to be more sustainable, healthy and fair. Over the past 10 years our trademark animated ‘explainer’ videos have garnered tens of millions of online views and motivated viewers to support hundreds of environmental and economic justice campaigns with their time, energy, and money.
Today, we inspire and encourage the civic engagement of the more than one million members of our global, online Community. Our videos and social media content engage millions of viewers each week in a solutions-oriented conversation; our campaigns enlist our Community members in efforts to protect our shared resources and make the economy work for everyone; and our learning and other tools help the community leaders and grassroots groups in our network build their civic power.
The Story of Stuff Project seeks a creative and dynamic Digital Media Producer to lead an in-house studio creating short, social media-ready videos that highlight the challenges with, and solutions to, the ‘take-make-waste’ economy. Our production suite currently includes campaign and news cycle-responsive motion graphic explainers, animated shorts and short documentary formats.
The Producer will work closely with our Campaigns and Community Engagement teams, to deliver short, visually-compelling videos designed to grow our audience and increase Community action. The Producer will also be charged with producing two episodic series for YouTube -- The Good Stuff and Growing Solutions -- and managing the production of periodic short documentaries.
The ideal candidate will have advanced aesthetic and technical media production skills, sufficient to hit the ground running on day one, as well as strong storytelling skills, including the ability to quickly and concisely craft a narrative that can be stand out in today’s crowded social media landscape. We prefer a candidate experienced in campaign-aligned communications and who has a passion for environmental and social change. This is a fast-paced role that requires someone who will remain calm under pressure and can meet deadlines within budget constraints. This position reports to the Executive Director.
- Produce and edit regular short-form motion graphic videos for Story of Stuff social media and other distribution channels.
- Develop, brand and produce two episodic web video series.
- Collaborate with Campaigns and Community Engagement teams to ensure program-alignment of videos that distill complex ideas and move viewers to action.
- Manage ‘in-house studio,’ including contract designers, editors, and other creative professionals and establish strong production systems, processes and standards.
- Demonstrated experience designing / creating motion graphics for video -- candidates must be design oriented & have experience editing and making creative decisions, from concept to final cut.
- 3+ years of experience and/or training using (and highly proficient in) Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Premiere Pro and After Effects.
- Storytelling-orientation and the ability to creatively and succinctly deliver a message.
- Strong knowledge of current media trends, particularly social media.
- Proven ability to manage a story pipeline over time, including idea-stage projects, in-process projects, and follow-up/wrap-around media for completed projects.
- Have (or be quick to develop) a strong partnership network within the spaces necessary (news entities; advocacy groups) for content development and delivery.
- Knowledge of stock footage/image libraries, ability to manage stock budgets for cost-effectiveness over time, strong grasp of film/image credit best practices and pitfalls.
- Ability to organize and prioritize assignments and tasks, as well as adapt and react quickly as projects evolve.
- Demonstrated commitment to and competency around diversity, equity, and inclusion is required.
- Desire and ability to work well in a collaborative, team environment.
Competitive and comprehensive benefits include 100% employer provided health, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents; a 401(k) plan; commuter benefits; generous PTO policy; flexible work culture; and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send an email to Michael O’Heaney, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Name - Digital Media Producer” in the subject line. Please include:
- A succinct cover letter that explains why you want to join our team, including a how you would contribute to our our organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Your resume.
- Film/video reel or examples that strongly demonstrate media production experience. Be sure to let us know what your role on the project was.
Story of Stuff is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. Women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are encouraged to apply.