1126 16th Street NW
Do you want to protect fundamental freedoms around the world? The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL) is looking for two creative, enterprising, and highly motivated lawyers to help us do just that.
ICNL promotes the freedoms of association, assembly, and expression and supports civil society, civic participation, and philanthropy in countries around the world.
The Legal Advisors will hold full-time positions based in our Washington, DC office, with significant travel. The Legal Advisors will help strengthen international norms protecting civic space and support their implementation at the national level. These positions entail significant responsibility for managing major ICNL programs. The jobs will be dynamic, fast-paced, and best suited to someone creative, flexible, and comfortable with multi-tasking.
Under the direction of ICNL’s VP-Programs or VP-Legal Affairs, the Legal Advisor will:
- Collaborate with diplomats, donors, and some of the world’s leading human rights activists to defend the freedoms of association, expression, and assembly;
- Help develop the cutting-edge knowledge and analysis that allows ICNL and our partners to stay ahead of rapidly developing civic space issues;
- Prepare analyses of draft legislation for use by government officials, parliamentarians, civil society, and the media;
- Design trainings and initiatives to strengthen knowledge of laws affecting civil society, civic participation, and philanthropy.
- Help strengthen coalitions of likeminded government allies, civil society organizations, movements, and individuals critical to achieving ICNL’s mission; and
- Assist in managing one or more of ICNL’s major programs by liaising with funders, developing program strategies, and implementing program activities.
Qualifications and requirements:
- Law degree from an accredited school;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in international policy, human rights, or development; knowledge of multilateral institutions preferred;
- Experience and knowledge related to civic space or civil society law;
- Superb written and oral communications skills;
- Experience designing and implementing program strategies;
- Experience with program and budget management;
- Comfort working both independently and as a member of a team;
- Fluency in English required; fluency in other languages is an advantage;
- The Legal Advisor must possess legal authorization to work in the US.
Minimum Education Required