Details: According to experience
Apex for Youth delivers possibilities to underserved Asian and immigrant youth from low-income families in New York City. Our mentoring, basketball and educational programs support young people from first to twelfth grade and provide them with the resources to become confident, college-ready and community minded.
Apex for Youth has experienced explosive growth over the past few years; from serving a little more than 100 students in 2011 to now serving more than 1,000. The budget has also grown tenfold in that time to more than $3M. In 2017 we celebrated our 25th year of serving youth in the NYC area.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Development & Communications Manager is a unique opportunity to help scale an ambitious organization while telling stories that inspire an engaged, educated and passionate Asian American audience.
An integral part of the development team, this is a front-line position that will collaborate with senior leadership to help diversify contributed revenue and implement a robust engagement strategy via all communications channels.
The position reports to the Director of Development and is a highly visible position within the organization. There is also substantial room for growth. The ideal candidate will be obsessive about details, be comfortable in donor settings and have an eye for aesthetics.
- Manage a portfolio of individual and foundation donors.
- For individuals, manage the entire fundraising cycle from identifying prospects, cultivating leads, making asks and stewarding donors.
- For foundations, work with grantwriters on LOIs, applications and reporting, and the appropriate internal staff to develop compelling program language.
- Work very closely with the Events Manager on all Apex events and manage their marketing, including setting up Classy RSVP pages, writing and deploying pre- and post-event emails and social media. This includes fundraising and all communications for the annual Inspiration Awards Gala held every April, which raises $1.3M through 800+ attendees.
- Develop annual fund campaigns during the end-of-year giving season, Lunar New Year and other holidays via a variety of channels including direct mail, emails, social media and peer-to-peer fundraising.
- Interface directly with an active and engaged Board of Directors, as well as support the board’s development and Gala committees.
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the Asian American funding community.
- Work closely with the Development & Events Manager, Database Coordinator and department interns on database integrity.
- Develop and implement a strategic communications plan with specific fundraising and engagement metrics.
- Manage and deploy content for the website, the monthly newsletter OutLoud and social media in order to encourage our audience toward goals laid out in the strategic plan.
- Drive the creation, design and production of collateral, including fundraising and sponsorship packages, invitations, donor acknowledgements and appeals; plus signage, programs and displays for the annual Gala and other Apex for Youth events.
- Work with multiple internal and external stakeholders--including board members, committee members, program staff and volunteers--to develop external talking points about Apex, and to ensure consistent usage.
- Establish and maintain a consistent brand voice and look while managing outside consultants and freelancers for design, P.R., video, photography etc.
- Provide quarterly reporting on all digital analytics and recommend course adjustments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills a must, with a hospitality and customer-service orientation toward donors.
- Superior, obsessive attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills, especially in writing to donors.
- Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends, especially during Gala season from February through May.
- Minimum 3-4 years of development and/or communications experience with a proven track record of increasing contributed revenue and effective marketing materials.
- Experience in foundation fundraising and grantwriting.
- Ability to be proactive, not reactive, and to think strategically across multiple, concurrent projects.
- Experience with Photoshop, InDesign, Wordpress and other creative softwares a plus.
- Familiarity with donor software, particularly Salesforce.
Apex for Youth offers competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume in one PDF to email@example.com with the subject line “DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER - YOUR NAME”. Do not send Microsoft Word documents. No phone calls or mailed applications.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.