309 NW 13th Street, Ste. 103
Generation Citizen (GC) Oklahoma is excited to announce that we are looking for an exceptional leader to join our team as the OKCPS Program Manager of our Teacher-Led Action Civics model. This involves partnering directly with teachers and school leaders to support them in institutionalizing action civics throughout their schools. The Program Manager will help coordinate the implementation and evaluation of a three year partnership between GC, CIRCLE (The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement), a research partner at Tufts University, and the Oklahoma City Public School District to dramatically scale action civics throughout the district as a critical collaborative project based learning intervention.
About Generation Citizen
Generation Citizen (www.GenerationCitizen.org) seeks to strengthen our nation’s democracy by empowering young people to become engaged and effective citizens. GC believes all students have the right to an effective civics education that prepares them to participate in our democracy.
GC partners with schools to implement an Action Civics program that teaches students how to address community issues through local government. Students develop communication, collaboration, and critical thinking skills and are given space to learn and practice the behaviors of active citizenship within an academic setting. As a pioneer in the field, GC also advocates for Action Civics on a national scale.
This approach is revolutionizing civics education in this country, and is, in its 9th year of operation, serving more than 13,000 students across its six sites (Central Texas, Greater Boston, New York City, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and the San Francisco Bay Area) and beyond. In the 2017-18 school year alone, we will provide Action Civics to more than 1,000 students in Oklahoma. We are led by co-founder and CEO, Scott Warren, a former recipient of a Draper Richards Kaplan Fellowship and an Echoing Green Fellowship who was named one of Forbes’ Top 30 Social Entrepreneurs under 30. Generation Citizen is building a new generation of youth leaders, a generation inspired and equipped to make change.
The OKCPS Program Manager is responsible for overseeing a portfolio of school and district relationships to support GC’s program delivery, quality, partnerships, evaluation, and expansion in Oklahoma City and surrounding area. The Program Manager will report to the Oklahoma Site Director and will serve as a liaison between GC, the OKCPS Social Studies Curriculum Coordinator, and CIRCLE, to oversee implementation of a significant multi-year partnership to dramatically deepen the utilization of collaborative project-based learning throughout OKCPS. The Program Manager will play a key role in supporting and implementing this exciting partnership to infuse action civics throughout the district. We need a Program Manager who is hungry to engage in all aspects of this work – from building and expanding the teacher-led model to strengthening GC’s community of teachers in Oklahoma City’s education sector. Because there’s a lot to do, there will be significant opportunities for leadership development and growth.
If all of this excites you, then we encourage you to apply. Specific job responsibilities will include:
Project Coordinator for Scaled Collaborative Project-Based Learning
- Work closely with OKCPS and CIRCLE to coordinate a three year Research-Practice Partnership (RPP) to infuse and deepen action civics as a learning practice throughout Oklahoma City Public Schools.
- Lead communication between OKCPS, CIRCLE and GC and ensure consistent execution of the RPP
- Manage evaluation implementation for students and teachers in close coordination with CIRCLE, as lead research and evaluation partner, and OKCPS administrators and teachers
GC Program Development and Management
- Manage GC’s teacher professional development program model within Oklahoma City which will include recruiting school partners, training participating teachers, supporting individual class advocacy projects, connecting students with advocacy resources and experts, and collaborating with teachers to drive evolution of the model
- Collaborate with the national Director of Programming, Manager of National Program Development, and other staff to strengthen our model for a teacher professional development workshop series
- Engage with local and national GC team members in consistent collection, review of, reflection on, and decision-making from gathered quantitative and qualitative data
- Contribute to overall site program and quality goals, including coordination of school-based and citywide end-of-semester Civics Day events
GC Program Planning & Growth
- Within the framework of GC’s national strategic plan and local strategic priorities, manage a caseload of school and district relationships and develop a pipeline of potential teacher-led school partners within OKCPS, with an eye towards confirming multi-year partnerships.
- Support Site Director on Action Civics-related city and state advocacy campaigns and fundraising planning and events, as needed
- Collaborate with Site Director to build and strengthen partnerships with community organizations, local political representatives, and others within the education and youth-serving nonprofit sphere to support high-quality programming, to accelerate site learning and collaboration, and to enhance GC’s presence as a local thought-leader in civics education
Required Qualifications and Skills
- 3+ years of relevant nonprofit or education experience, including at least 2 years in a teaching or training capacity
- Experience working with middle or high school students, educators, and administrators, and familiarity with the language of education standards and school priorities
- In-depth knowledge of the Oklahoma City community, its educational institutions, and its governmental structures, including familiarity with the Northeast Task Force and OKCPS’s new equity policy
- Demonstrated ability to establish and manage high-stakes partnerships
- Strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills, as well as demonstrated ability to connect to, engage, and inspire others
- Strong organizational and project management skills and attention to detail
- Significant experience setting and exceeding ambitious growth goals
- Passion for Generation Citizen’s vision of a country of young people working as active and effective citizens to collectively rebuild our American democracy
- Ability and excitement to model GC’s core values: Grassroots Change, Systemic Impact, Collaboration and Diversity, Action, and Open-Mindedness
- Political campaign, legislative, or community organizing experience preferred.
- Experience with program management and evaluation strongly preferred
Salary, Hours and Terms
Salary, Hours and Terms Generation Citizen offers a competitive salary and benefits package. This is a full-time position based in Oklahoma City.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Relevant applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis and decisions will be made as soon as appropriate candidates are identified. We encourage applicants to submit their applications early.
Qualified candidates should send a resume, cover letter, and a list of 2-3 references to
Jobs@GenerationCitizen.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include “OKCPS Program Manager” in your email subject line. No telephone inquiries please.
Generation Citizen is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. Candidates who reflect the diversity of the Oklahoma community are strongly encouraged to apply.