External Relations Associate – Silicon Valley
Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Watch this video to learn more about Reading Partners.
The High Level
Reading Partners Silicon Valley is seeking a highly organized self-starter for our External Relations Associate (ERA). This position is an exciting opportunity for someone who is interested in a career in nonprofit management, with a focus on the day-to-day needs of managing an organization, including data systems, fundraising, event planning, project management, and community relations. They must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
The ERA reports to the External Relations Manager and is a member of the external relations team, which is responsible for both fundraising and development as well as volunteer recruitment and engagement. The ERA will work as a member of the regional team as well as engage with national team members as needed.
What you’ll do:
Support all external revenue activities to meet or exceed ambitious fundraising goals for the entire region.
- Assist in all writing for fundraising and external relations activities for the region including meeting briefs, letters, follow-up correspondence, updates, acknowledgments, reports, grants, proposals, newsletters, and more.
- Conduct a high volume of prospect research to identify and qualify foundation, corporate, and major gift prospects.
Drive regional development operations and provide administrative support.
- Project manage all event logistics for 3-5 regional fundraising, tutor appreciation, and donor stewardship events annually.
- Manage Salesforce donor database to record and track deadlines, meeting notes and funder information.
- Produce reports and data that are used by the development team and Executive Director to drive streamlined communication internally and with the board.
- Oversee regional social media accounts, creating posts and thoughtfully engaging followers.
Each year, execute on a comprehensive community engagement strategy to meet and exceed volunteer recruitment targets.
- Support in developing the strategy to recruit and/or retain 1100+ volunteers annually.
- Develop and manage a portfolio of community partners of that supporting Reading Partners with volunteers.
- Lead on the logistics of tutor orientations for the entire region.
- Support the clearance of volunteers by becoming a licensed fingerprint roller and facilitating background checks at orientations as needed.
- Drive the development and execution volunteer of engagement campaigns.
Other duties as assigned.
How you’ll do it:
Demonstrate a strong ability to balance multiple competing priorities daily. Show an ability to prioritize, and take action accordingly. Consider all stakeholders and implications for projects that are cross-functional. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively and innovatively execute solutions. See the bigger picture and also drill down to smaller details to connect the dots. Demonstrate an ability to rally a variety of folks together to meet a goal.
Externally, demonstrate the ability to genuinely promote Reading Partners and our mission through a variety of strategies. Provide excellent customer service to partners, donors, and volunteers. Have a high level of comfort with public speaking and with crafting mass communications. Be able to differentiate communication depending upon your audience.
Internally, set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with external supporters, and other Reading Partners staff.
Relationship Development & Collaboration:
Quickly establish highly collaborative and positive cross-functional relationships, and work well with all internal and external stakeholders. Demonstrate an ability to communicate with a variety of folks effectively. Ability to remain positive and goal-oriented. Celebrate wins with all stakeholders.
Demonstrate thoroughness in accomplishing all tasks no matter how large or small. Plans and organizes time and resources efficiently to ensure the accuracy of work.
You’ll be successful in this role if...
- You have an attention to detail and passion for operational excellence.
- You have 1+ years of increasing responsibility in a development, community engagement, or related role
- You are an exceptional, creative, and persuasive communicator in writing and verbally
- you boast a deep belief in our mission
- you hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- you root your work in our core values
- you can prove eligibility to work in the U.S. legally
Bonus Points if you:
- Have experience with Salesforce
- Have previous administrative experience
- Have previous event planning experience
- Have graphic design skills
- Have experience with external communications
- Have served with AmeriCorps or are an alum/alumna of another national service organization
What we offer
Reading Partners offers the full package – a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer competitive compensation commensurate with experience. This is a full-time, non-exempt (paid hourly) position.
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance, flex spending accounts, generous paid time off, commuter benefits, 403(b) option, and Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us.
The other things you need to know
Physical Requirements: Must be able to sit for certain periods of time, bend and stoop occasionally, have the necessary ability to use a keyboard and may need to lift up to 25 pounds. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Travel: This position travels regularly throughout the Silicon Valley area.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role, along with your salary needs.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.