District of Columbia
National Philanthropic Trust is actively recruiting a City Director, Washington, DC, for a potential upcoming project, with 100,000 Opportunities Initiative.
About the Initiative: 4.9 million Americans between 16 and 24 are out of school and not working. These young, motivated, and talented youth are a vital and untapped resource looking to fill millions of open roles. At the same time, employers often experience challenges effectively recruiting, training and retaining young workers. The 100,000 Opportunities Initiative™ (100K) is the largest employer-led coalition focused on recruiting and retaining Opportunity Youth. In 2015, we established a vision to connect employers and Opportunity Youth with the goal of hiring 100,000 Opportunity Youth by 2018. The 100,000 Opportunities Initiative™ celebrated hiring 100,000 Opportunity Youth within its first year. The Coalition is now committed to reconnecting 1 million Opportunity Youth with jobs while also focusing on retention and other needs of our employers.
Role Overview: We are looking for a City Director to help us design, launch and build the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative in DC. The Director will drive the planning and implementation of our innovative city strategy, working at the nexus of employers, city agencies and community organizations. The City Director will guide and support the delivery of ongoing hiring events, “learning pilot” training programs, and data collection and analysis. The City Director will be responsible for identifying best practices from other 100,000 Opportunities cities, and participating in national learning communities to share and contribute best practices across all cities. The City Director will work closely with the national Executive Director to better understand the needs of employers and ways in which the 100,000 Opportunities communities can support their recruitment and retention efforts The City Director will also work closely with local organizations who provide training and services to Opportunity Youth in DC to better understand their strengths and needs.
This role includes building and managing a portfolio of investments to support Opportunity Youth employment in DC. These investments create connections that lead to meaningful outcomes for youth and employers. Additional responsibilities include strategic planning, investment advice and alignment to strategy, and ensuring strong and meaningful public-private stakeholder collaboration. Moreover, the City Director for DC will foster champions among community and corporate leaders, and work to increase and/or strengthen connections between Opportunity Youth, local youth programs, and employers. In working closely with 100,000 Opportunities Initiative staff, leadership, and partners, the City Director will be influential in sharing learnings and outcomes from our investments to inform the field of practice nationally.
This will require the Director to actively collaborate with people and organizations from the private, public and non-profit sectors, necessitating deep empathy for people who work in each of these sectors. S/he will also need to be highly attuned to the needs of hard-to-serve and hard-to-reach youth. To be an excellent City Director, s/he must excel in relationship-building, and be comfortable working on her/his own as well as collaborating with diverse groups from across the city. The City Director will need to develop and shepherd the initiative strategy, refining as s/he goes, and track performance. S/he will establish a local, advisory Steering Team to support the work, comprised of employers and other representatives from the public and social sectors. S/he will be a self-starter who is inspired by the mission of the Initiative and the opportunity to work across sectors at both the community and national level. This is a terrific position for an entrepreneurially-minded person, committed to public-private partnerships, with a passion for youth.
- Provide leadership for the design, development and implementation of the 100,000 Opportunities Initiative in DC
- Develop and sustain relationships with senior leaders from the private, public and social sectors
- Ensure implementation excellence
- Provide strategic advice on investment opportunities
- Manage communications through media relations, social media, etc.
- Build positive relations with core partners and multiple other external parties
- Establish a local, cross-sector advisory Steering Team, and engage the Steering Team through ongoing guidance and advice
- Build and maintain a performance monitoring system, and track ongoing progress
- Identify and quantify the local initiative’s impact in connecting job-ready youth to employment
- Establish a knowledge management plan and disseminate learning and support the expansion of the initiative’s impact in and beyond DC
- Represent and advocate for the goals and vision of 100,000 Opportunities with employer coalition members to ensure work is aligned to meet the needs of both the youth and the employers
- Mission-driven, with a passion for supporting youth employment
- Demonstrated strategic thinking abilities
- Analytical mind with problem-solving aptitude
- Ability to lead across a diverse spectrum of stakeholder groups
- Ability to be self-directed, and to manage up
- Ability to influence others in pursuit of shared goals
- Deep empathy for those who work in the private, public and non-profit sectors; experience in all three sector preferred
- Ability to build trust-based relationships with senior leaders across the city
- Minimum of a B.A. and at least 6-8 years of experience in talent acquisition, HR, youth employment or a related field
- Proven results in creating partnerships to hire young, diverse talent
- Familiarity with the Opportunity Youth field and its stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience working and building collaborative partnerships with city, municipal, state, and national leaders; the private sector; nonprofit advocates; and other community stakeholders.
- Experience in managing a portfolio of investments to measurable outcomes.
- Proven ability to lead in a start-up environment and pace
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate with diverse audiences
- Experience setting goals and objectives, prioritizing and structuring work activities
NPT offers the best medical and dental plans available to us. Staff can choose among several plans to meet their needs with most premiums covered above 90% and the option to use a pre-tax health savings account (with a strong contribution from NPT), flexible spending or dependent care account. NPT also offers NPT-paid short-term and long-term disability insurance, as well as NPT-paid life insurance. We provide tuition reimbursement, ongoing professional development, employee donor-advised fund options and matching gifts for charitable donations.
NPT offers a 401K with a 6% dollar-for-dollar match. We also offer tuition reimbursement and charitable matching programs for eligible employees.
Paid Time Off and Flexible Scheduling
All qualified employees have a minimum of four weeks of paid time off in addition to paid holidays. in addition to one Volunteer Time Off day annually. We also offer schedule adjustments for full-time employees who may wish to work a daily schedule other than NPT's regular business hours.
NPT is an equal opportunity employer committed to including diverse perspectives and backgrounds at all levels of our organization.
Minimum Education Required