Details: Salary starting in the low 80’s depending on experience
By developing programs that respond to pressing community needs, New York Cares—New York City’s leading volunteer management organization—provides a lifeline of support to our city’s most vulnerable residents. Last year, we mobilized 65,000 individual volunteers and hundreds of companies, civic and youth groups to help improve the lives of over 500,000 struggling New Yorkers.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The NonProfit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
Reporting to the Director of Technology, the UX Lead will be responsible for researching and defining the digital challenges facing New York Cares, communicating insights to all staff in ways that facilitate decision making, and designing solutions to improve the New York Cares digital user experience.
The UX Lead will coordinate with the Communications Department’s Content Lead and Creative Lead to design consistent digital user experiences and coordinate with the Technology Department’s Web Developer to prototype, test and implement the solutions. They will also coordinate with the Community Partner and Evaluations team to ensure progress towards key metrics measuring the success of our digital experiences. This position will be key to the success of the anticipated upgrade of the New York Cares website infrastructure and ensuring that we are building the right product.
Ensuring common understanding among all staff of the New York Cares user experience across all channels. This will include:
- Designing and coordinating original UX research.
- Gathering and aggregating existing New York Cares research and relevant external research for easy use by the entire organization.
- Communicating insights to all internal departments using deliverables such as journey maps, personas, user flows, and storyboards.
- Presenting at staff wide meetings and to key stakeholders.
Leading the design and testing of improvements to the New York Cares digital experience in collaboration with the Communication Department’s Content and Creative Leads. This will include:
- Iterating strategies with wireframes, sitemaps and lo-fi prototypes to ensure successful mobile-first digital experiences.
- Testing ideas early and often with prototypes and appropriately scoped projects.
- Using higher fidelity mockups as necessary to ensure internal stakeholder buy-in and to coordinate implementation of improvements with the Communications Department and Programmatic staff.
- Documenting and communicating the technical requirements for in-house and external developers to create accessible and semantic code and well-documented configuration.
- Running QA before launches to reduce risk of user experience degradation.
Guiding a cross-functional team of program managers, editors, developers, visual designers, and leadership stakeholders toward an improved New York Care digital user experience. This will include:
- Developing roadmaps and timelines.
- Managing internal expectations.
- Maintaining prioritized backlogs.
- Partnering with leadership and program managers to ensure the website vision aligns with the organization’s larger objectives, visions and goals.
- Continuously tracking and reporting on metrics of success.
- 3+ years working in user experience design and/or digital product management.
- Effective project management skills with experience using Agile philosophies, or Scrum/Lean methodologies.
- Experience running original user research.
- Ability to interpret analytics and experience with configuring Google Analytics.
- Strong storytelling skills.
- Familiarity with automated testing tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to translate technical jargon.
- Bonus: Background in psychology or volunteering.
Benefits include a generous health insurance plan, a retirement plan, and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line UX Lead. In your cover letter please cover these topics:
- What do you enjoy most about your current position?
- Why are you interested in working at New York Cares?