14 Walworth St.
ABOUT SHELTERS OF SARATOGA
Shelters of Saratoga, Inc (SOS), is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization based in Saratoga Springs, New York. SOS is the leading housing organization in Saratoga County, providing emergency sheltering through its Code Blue program during the winter months, all year transitional sheltering with case management at its Walworth shelter, and outreach and drop-in center services to the local homeless population. SOS's annual operating budget is approximately $1 million.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Board of Directors is looking for a highly capable person to lead the organization in its effort to materially reduce homelessness in the County. The Executive Director role combines both operational and strategic responsibilities that include;
- directing and managing the day to day operations of the case managed shelter, transitional housing apartments, outreach programs and Code Blue emergency shelter program,
- advancing the strategic goals and objectives of the organization, and
- representing the organization and the homeless population publicly and privately to advocate for policies and programs to address homelessness.
Board Support and Development:
- Provides leadership in presenting program, organizational and financial plans to the Board of Directors for input and feedback.
- Ensures all Board policies and bylaws are up to date and compliant with applicable regulations. Effectively carries out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Maintains open and ongoing communication with the board to keep them fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.Coordinates the
- Board governance process including pro-active recruitment of new board members, tracking board member terms and limits and ensuring Board bylaws are up to date and compliant with applicable regulations.
Operations, Planning and Program Development:
- Ensures effective operations of all Shelters of Saratoga facilities to fulfill the mission of the organization.
- Maintains official records and documents, and ensures compliance with federal, state and local regulations
- Routinely monitors program performance and identifies opportunities to improve and/or adjust.
- Attends all board committee meetings and ensures follow up to identified activities.
- Provides leadership in ensuring that the organization maintains an updated strategic plan that reflects changing environmental conditions and creates programs that serve the needs of its constituents.
- Maintains a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field and incorporates that knowledge into the strategic goals and priorities of the organization.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders and community members to address the needs of the homeless population. Advocates for resources, policies and public support to address homelessness. Provides training support and education to assist invested stakeholders to implement best practices for meeting the needs of the homeless population.
- Effectively manages and supports regional data collection and analysis to demonstrate the objective measures and outcomes of programs created to address homelessness
Communication, Marketing and Community Outreach:
- Provides guidance and direction in the development of marketing and publication materials to ensure that appropriate activities of the organization, its programs and goals are shared throughout the community.
- Establishes effective partnerships and working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations.
- Represents the programs of Shelters of Saratoga and advocates for the needs of the homeless population.
Human Resource Management:
- Responsible for the recruitment, employment, and management of all administrative staff and effectively delegates responsibility of oversight of support staff to the appropriate program/administrative staff.
- Ensures that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are compliant and up to date with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Encourages staff and volunteer development and education. Provides leadership in assessing staff strengths and opportunities for improvement. Provides coaching and counseling as needed and addresses staff issues in an effective and timely manner.
- Establishes a positive and collaborative work environment that attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of quality people.
- Ensures monthly financial reporting is accurate and reported to Board Finance Committee and the Board in a timely manner. Researches all variances and creates action plans to address. Provides leadership in the preparation of the annual budget and ensures that organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensures that adequate funds are available to permit the organization to carry out its work. Develops contingency plans to address fiscal issues. Executes plans based on board input and direction.
- Ensures that adequate processes are in place to monitor expenditures including spending limits, complete documentation submitted to support expenses.
- Provides leadership and oversight of all fundraising activities including personal involvement as needed, to ensure fundraising targets are achieved. Provides leadership and oversight of the fundraising development plan.
- Actively solicits grant funding opportunities and prepares and submits grants to secure funding.
- BA or BS degree in a related field required
- Minimum of 5 years experience in progressive responsibilities for non-profit agency
- Proven track record with implementing organizational strategic plans
- Experience in writing federal, state and foundation grants preferred
- Possesses a passion for improving life opportunities for the homeless population
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to function independently
- Effective team building skills
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours
Shelters of Saratoga offers a competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required