Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union
Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Education Director – Family Child Care Network
Department: Early Childhood Education
Reports to: Network Director of Family Child Care Network
Anticipated Start Date: July 1st, 2020
The Education Director will serve as supervisor and day-to-day program manager for home visitor staff and work with all other service areas to integrate and provide health, mental health, nutrition, parent education, infant/toddler education, screening, ongoing assessment, and developmentally appropriate practices into home visits and parent-child playgroups. The Education Director will ensure that all program mandates are met and that the home-based program promotes the role of the parents as each child’s first and most important teacher.
• Responsible for the supervision and mentoring of all educational staff.
• Supports coaching of all home based providers.
• Maintains expertise in mixed age group home-based curricula.
• Trains new providers and education personnel.
• Demonstrates familiarity with Union Settlement and Division of Early Childhood Education (DECE) policies and procedures.
• Ensures that transition planning (i.e., preparing for when the child turns 4 years) is initiated and documented per procedure for all enrolled children.
• Ensures that providers facilitate and promote developmentally appropriate teacher-child interactions throughout the daily routine.
• Plans and implements learning experiences for providers that advance the intellectual and physical development of children, including but not limited to:
o Improving the readiness of children for school by developing their literacy, phonemic, and print awareness, their understanding and use of language, their understanding and use of increasingly complex and varied vocabulary, their appreciation of books, their understanding of early math and early science, their problem-solving abilities, and their approaches to learning.
• Implement research-based approaches to professional development for education staff. Areas of focus include:
o Effective curricula implementation.
o Knowledge of the content in Head Start Early Learning Outcomes Framework: Ages
Birth to Five.
o Partnering with families.
o Willingness to travel throughout East Harlem.
o Supporting children with disabilities and their families.
o Providing effective and nurturing adult-child interactions.
o Knowledgeable in Teaching Strategies Gold.
• Analyzes and monitors child outcome reports. Tracks data and connect educational trends.
• Maintains current and accurate records.
• Maintains confidentiality in regards to staff and family information.
• Maintains professional standards and professional courtesy policies.
• Actively participates in professional development opportunities by attending conferences, trainings, and workshops in order to meet education standards as required.
• Fulfills role as mandated reporter as stated in policies and procedures manual.
• Commits and contribute to program quality improvement as it relates to the position.
• Creates, maintains, and oversees the system for ongoing monitoring of educational and family service staff.
• Conducts all monitoring and quality assurance activities using the internal monitoring and quality assurance plan at all intervals contained therein, and report regularly to the Network
Director on progress as well as any remediation or action plans required to maintain compliance.
• Additional projects and tasks as assigned by supervisor.
• Master’s Degree in Early Childhood Education.
• New York State Teacher Certification in B-2.
• At minimum, three years classroom experience.
• Experience in management preferred.
• Strong leadership and training skills.
• Demonstrated experience in education.
To Apply: Please send Cover Letter, Resume, Writing Samples, References, and Salary
Requirements. Please indicate Education Director – Family Child Care Network in subject of e-mail.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement Association is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…