Details: Commensurate with experience
622 West 113th Street
The Leadership Gift Officer is part of a dynamic fundraising and alumni relations team. Working closely with the Director of Athletics Development and the Associate Director of Athletics Development, the incumbent assists with a wide variety of fundraising activities in support of Columbia Athletics, including front-line fundraising, research on giving history and capability of alumni, identifying and recruiting volunteers, and working directly with coaches and other staff in Athletics. Under supervision, the Leadership Gift Officer solicits active Athletics prospects, prepares materials for prospect solicitation and stewardship, and reports on visit/solicitation activities as required. S/he develops effective strategies to identify new prospects, increase participation in giving and maintain relationships with volunteer leaders.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Director of Athletics Development and the Associate Director of Athletics Development, the incumbent assists with a wide variety of fundraising activities, including front-line fundraising, research on giving history and capability of alumni, identifying and recruiting volunteers, and working directly with coaches and other staff in Athletics. Under supervision, the Leadership Gift Officer solicits active Athletics prospects, prepares materials for prospect solicitation and stewardship, and reports on visit/solicitation activities as required.
- The Leadership Gift Officer will staff a portfolio of roughly 300 prospects, with a goal of making 150 - 200 visits and 150 - 200 solicitations per year. The range of solicitations will include annual fund, leadership annual fund ($10K+), planned gifts, and other special projects as assigned. With the Associate Director and the Annual Fund Programs staff, the Leadership Gift Officer will help create fundraising dollar and donor goals and strategies, coordinate plans for direct mail, telemarketing, and e-mail staff on an ongoing basis and to monitor incoming gifts, and ensure that proper stewardship and pledge follow-up occurs.
- Staffing Athletics special events, including volunteer and alumni engagement events, end of year banquets, Homecoming, and other ad hoc Athletics events.
- Support for periodic Athletics Leadership Committee meetings.
- Will assist with department projects as assigned.
Bachelor's degree or its equivalent required. 3 - 5 years related experience required. A cover letter and résumé must be submitted with the application.
Prior experience working in a fundraising environment as well as experience in/passion for collegiate athletics is preferred. Must be able to creatively and sensitively approach brand management for a highly prestigious educational institution and Athletics program. Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office required. Must be able and willing to travel, some night and weekend work will be required. Prior knowledge and experience with the Advance database application preferred. Prior experience at an academic research institution is desirable.
Must be detail oriented, use excellent independent judgment and initiative, and have a proactive customer service attitude when interacting with alumni and other constituencies. Demonstrated ability to work in a high pressure, fast-paced environment. Must possess the ability to work with changing priorities and multiple projects. Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including a high level of attention to detail and active listening skills. Must be able to problem-solve and troubleshoot, in addition to the ability to work independently in a dynamic team environment. Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a diverse group of administrators and academic leaders. Demonstrated ability to work well with all levels of management, both internally and externally, be flexible in nature, and have a sound judgment with a collaborative style that fosters teamwork and cooperation beyond the immediate team to the broader organization. Must have a passion for excellent customer service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Medical, Dental, Retirement, Paid Time Off, Disability, Life etc.
Minimum Education Required