The Assistant Vice President, Innovation is responsible for leading the identification, exploration, and development of opportunities to extend and deepen NAF’s impact through technology solutions. In addition to new opportunities, the AVP will also oversee the continued development NAF’s CRM and learning platforms to deliver NAF content and resources to its network. This is a critical role as part of its new strategic plan, NAF seeks to leverage technology to bring work-based learning to students across the country.
NAF is a national network of education, business, and community leaders who work together to ensure high school students are college, career, and future ready. NAF’s educational design ignites students’ passion for learning and gives businesses the opportunity to shape America’s future workforce by transforming the learning environment to include STEM infused, industry-specific curricula and work-based learning experiences, including internships.
Since 1982, NAF has partnered with communities facing systemic barriers to improve outcomes for students by implementing NAF academies – small learning communities within existing high schools. NAF has grown from one NAF Academy of Finance in New York City to hundreds of academies across the country focusing on growing industries including: finance, hospitality & tourism, information technology, engineering, and health sciences.
During the 2020-21 school year, over 117,000 students attended NAF academies across 34 states, including DC, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands. In 2020, NAF academies reported 99% of seniors graduated with 87% of graduates planning to go to college.
Duties include but are not limited to:
Explore and develop new tech innovations
- Work with NAF leadership, Board and STEM committee members, corporate partners, NAF staff and network, and external partners to identify opportunities to leverage technology and applications to increase NAF’s impact.
- Explore and test potential ideas to increase impact for students and adults in the NAF Network and beyond.
- Understand customer needs and incorporate teacher/student voices as co-designers throughout the innovation process using design thinking methods.
- Partner with relevant teams to ensure successful launches, trainings, and rollouts.
Design and bring to market new interactive digital products
- Develop the strategy and business model for a new tech-enabled offering that dramatically increases the scale and availability of work-based learning opportunities for high school students across the country.
- Conduct market analyses, landscape scans, and vendor demos of potential products.
- With input from VP Research and Technology, Sr. Director of Work-based Learning and others, lead the design and creation of online lessons, experiential learning, and/or gamified experiences that support high school students’ career readiness and internships.
- Partner with product marketing teams to get our open-source content widely distributed and adopted.
Support the development of internal Data and Assessment Platforms
- Lead the continued development and adoption of NAF’s Salesforce CRM.
- Support the VP, Research + Tech in the continuous improvement of NAF’s data collection and assessment platforms, as well as their integration with the CRM.
- Provide input to process improvement initiatives that support NAF’s internal operations.’
- Co-lead NAF’s Useability Group
Team Development and Management Oversight
- Lead the development of goals, objectives, work plans and budgets.
- Manage three direct reports (CRM Manager, Director of Digital Instructional Design, Innovation Coordinator), including developing performance goals and objectives and providing ongoing feedback, guidance, and support.
Some travel normally required, approximately 10 - 20%. Please note that all agency travel is currently suspended until further notice, with all staff working remotely.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field or demonstrable equivalent.
- Master’s-level training in fields such as business, design, UI/UX, or computer science, a plus.
- 7-10 years of experience leading high priority projects from concept to completion, and while this is a strategic role, experience in tech consulting or ed tech is preferred.
- 5+ years of experience supervising and managing staff.
- Demonstrated experience in human-centered design, rapid prototyping, product development, and/or agile project management methods.
- Prior experience launching new products or campaigns + ability to demonstrate how you quickly pivoted as new learnings and insights arose.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment to NAF’s mission and vision for young people.
- Ability to conceive, design, launch, and scale new products through the full innovation lifecycle.
- Entrepreneurial attitude, with an ability to identify insightful and creative new ideas and translate them into practice.
- Exceptional analytical skills, both qualitative and quantitative, including ability to synthesize learnings into actionable items.
- Focus on outcomes and ability to translate innovation into platforms with wide adoption.
- A strong sense of user empathy, both for customers and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written, verbal, personal and presentation style formats with a wide variety of individuals.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title, your first name, and last name in the subject line.