Reporting to the Deputy Director, the Finance and Operations Manager will be responsible for oversight of all finance, accounting and reporting activities. A direct report to the Deputy Director, the Finance and Operations Manager will support presentations to the Board finance and audit committee and will work closely with the senior leadership team. S/he will serve as the “right hand” of the Deputy Director and play a key role in ensuring overall organizational efficiencies.
The Finance and Operations Manager will lead all day-to-day finance operations of a current budget of $1.8 million, including functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivables, payroll, and grants administration. The Finance and Operations Manager will ensure Encounter has the operational systems and procedures in place to support effective program implementation. The Finance and Operations Manager will work closely with program leaders to educate them regarding internal operational and financial procedures. The Finance and Operations Manager is the lead on human resources, operational systems and administration and s/he will partner with the Deputy Director to enhance and better integrate finance, human resources, and IT functions.
- Oversee all accounts, and reporting systems, ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements; Maintain internal controls; Manage yearly financial audit.
- Responsible for bills/invoices and expense reports; Liaison to vendors and banks.
- Analyze financial data and present financial reports including cashflow forecasting; researches trends in financial operating models and delivery.
- Support annual budgeting process.
- Oversee fundraising administration including maintaining income and fundraising records and managing acknowledgement.
Administration & Human Resources:
- Primary administrator and coordinator of all HR related matters; Maintain personnel files; Ensure compliance with state and national laws.
- Oversee administrative aspects of hiring, orientation and departure/termination of employees including management of all associated paperwork; Assist with hiring and search processes.
- Manage payroll process with approval from Deputy Director; Manage administration of benefits packages including time off reporting.
Office Management and Operations:
- Oversee technical components of programs, including maintenance of online registration forms, coordination with travel agents, etc; Logistics support for events.
- Phone, mail, filing as needed; Maintain office calendars, materials and records;
- Schedule meetings, prepare materials, book rooms and liaise with caterer.
- Manage database (Salesforce) ensuring data is up to date; adjust systems and plug-ins as needed.
- Maintain website: Troubleshoot as needed, including back-end edits and coordinating with web developer.
Additional responsibilities and projects may be assigned as they arise.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the position
- 3-5 years of experience in a finance and operations role, with a minimum of 2 years in budgeting and financial management, with proven track record of high quality work.
- Experience coordinating audit activities and managing reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Experience in grants management as it relates to compliance and reporting on foundation grants.
- Tech savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software, QuickBooks preferred.
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management.
Qualities & Skills
- Integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to Encounter’s mission
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Superb project manager; A natural creative problem-solver with a “can-do” orientation; able to “manage up” effectively
- Proactive, takes initiative; Where systems or processes are not working, this person steps up to create new ones and follows through on implementation
- A driver who executes on all tasks and is accountable for their success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-finance managers; Keen analytic skills, able to strategically interpret data
- Team player but able to work independently
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter (detailing why you are interested in this position and your salary requirements) in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and "Finance and Operations Manager" in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.