150 North Michigan Avenue
The Digital Communications Coordinator (Coordinator) is on the front lines of connecting tens of thousands of people with the Alliance for the Great Lakes’ campaigns every day. The Coordinator leads efforts to develop, engage, and cultivate the organization’s online community primarily through social media and email campaigns. S/he manages day-to-day online communications and motivates Alliance supporters to take action as advocates, donors, or volunteers.
The Digital Communications Coordinator translates complex policy, scientific information, and personal narratives into compelling copy and creative social media, email, and website tactics that engage new and existing supporters. S/he is a nimble learner and writer who can quickly adapt copy to a variety of digital uses and a range of audiences. S/he is an adept curator of content, curious about the ever-changing field of digital engagement, an early adopter of technology, and passionate about digital engagement strategies.
The Coordinator is a core member of the Alliance’s Engagement Team and will work closely with staff throughout the organization with an emphasis on policy and advocacy campaigns as well as small donor fundraising. S/he is able to create content quickly while juggling multiple assignments simultaneously.
The Digital Communications Coordinator reports to the Vice President of Communications and Engagement.
The Alliance for the Great Lakes sets a protection agenda for the Great Lakes, a resource of global significance and the world’s largest source of surface freshwater. The Alliance seeks to protect the Great Lakes from their greatest threats, build a resilient future for communities, and instill the value of clean water throughout the region. The Alliance is a four-star Charity Navigator organization. Learn more about the Alliance at www.greatlakes.org.
• Builds and nurtures a robust and diverse online community of supporters and champions. Manages day-to-day online communication with Alliance constituents primarily through social media and email.
• Develops and implements effective strategies to grow and maintain online engagement of volunteers, advocates, and donors using a variety of interactive tactics including paid and organic social media, email campaigns, blogs, etc.
• Partners with policy and stewardship staff to integrate online campaign strategies with overall programmatic work plans.
• Writes compelling copy for advocacy and fundraising campaigns and other communication campaigns including, but not limited to, social media posts, emails, blogs, and web pages.
• Deploys content including building social posts and ads, web pages, emails, etc.
• Creates short videos and simple design elements for use in digital campaigns.
• Ensures a consistent message and written style across various channels, altering copy and design to appeal to key audiences.
• Assists with the development and management of a suite of metrics to measure online engagement and implement course corrections as needed.
• Monitors key external outlets that cover relevant topics, as well as internal press releases, blog posts, field updates, etc. to identify and follow up on opportunities for Alliance story angles.
• Refines and updates as needed internal protocols for online engagement. Trains staff as needed on online tools and protocols.
• Participates in weekly communications team meetings and periodic staff, group and team meetings.
• Assists with development of the Alliance’s annual engagement plans.
• Assists with annual planning and budgeting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (Required education, skills, knowledge, experience, and abilities)
• Bachelor’s degree, at least 3 years of professional experience with responsibilities including social media and writing for the web and email, and relevant experience in political/issue organizing, cause-based marketing, or non-profit communications.
• Experience with email marketing programs (e.g. Campaign Monitor or similar), content management systems (e.g. WordPress or similar), social media management tools (e.g. Hootsuite or similar) required.
• Experience developing and managing online communities resulting in measurable advocacy or political organizing or marketing outcomes.
• Familiarity with basics of graphic design, video and photo editing.
• Experience converting online communities from awareness to action.
• Experience serving as an advisor to non-communications professionals to integrate online engagement strategies into overall programmatic work plans and objectives.
• Strong understanding and early adopter of technology trends. Passionate about adapting current and discovering new technology.
• Strong written and verbal skills.
• Self-driven to meet deadlines without prompting, and committed to team work structure.
• Impeccable attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects, establish workload priorities.
• Attraction to mission-drive public interest work, often with resource limitation that require resourcefulness in leveraging assistance from and managing pro bono experts and volunteers.
• Committed to elevating the success of colleagues and constituents.
• Environmental, particularly Great Lakes or water-focused, experience or background helpful.
· This position is full-time and consistent with Alliance employment policy. Salary to be commensurate with experience.
· Excellent benefits, including health, vacation and retirement plan, are included.
· The strong preference is for this position to be located in Chicago, with occasional travel around the Great Lakes region.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply e-mail a cover letter, resume, and references. Additionally, provide three samples of digital communication projects or campaigns. The samples should showcase engagement of new supporters in a cause or issue advocacy campaign and/or activation of supporters (e.g. calls to action to advocate, donate, volunteer, etc.) in a campaign. Please include a brief description of each sample and your role in it.
Email application materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include job title in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted until November 2, 2018 or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier. Materials should be compatible with Microsoft Word or Adobe Acrobat. Applicants will receive confirmation of receipt of their materials and further guidance and updates about the hiring process by e-mail, with interviews provided for finalists. No phone inquiries please.