ACHIEVEability, a Member of Mission First Housing Group, permanently breaks the generational cycle of poverty for low income, single parent, and homeless families through higher education, affordable housing, supportive services, community and economic development, and accountability.
The Director of Self-Sufficiency (DSS) works in collaboration with the organization and community partners to effectively deliver quality services for the Family Self-Sufficiency Program. The DSS supports the coaching team in assessing participant needs and strengths in the areas of education, parenting, personal development, employment and financial management and to coordinate the provision of services and resources (ACHIEVEability’s and those from external entities) to help participants become self-sufficient. The DSS also build networks and relationships with community partners and stakeholders.
Reporting to the Executive Director, this Senior Management position will assist ACHIEVEability in accomplishing our mission to end poverty. As part of the Senior Management team, the person in this position must be a leader committed to excellence and growth, as ACHIEVEability is a dynamic agency continually changing to meet the needs of those we serve. The position oversees social service programs, fosters new partnerships, and provides input and expertise to achieve the agency’s strategic goals.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight and leadership to the Family Self-Sufficiency Program ensuring successful implementation, evaluation and coordination of services. Ensure that FSSP is in compliance with funding regulations, program goals, and stakeholder expectations.
- Collaborate regularly with organizational management regarding issues relating to finances, human resources, program operations, and strategic opportunities.
- Ensure effective data quality and compliance systems for FSSP and all required stakeholder CRM’s. Ensure compliance with all program contractual requirements. Assist in the creation of the annual report for the public which describes all service outcomes.
- Participate in and support fundraising efforts including grants (application and report), special events and individual giving program.
- Provide oversight to service provision in the Mission First Housing Group.
- Maintain effective public relations and serve as a spokesperson for ACHIEVEability when needed. Develop relationships with the community to instill support and confidence in our agency.
- Plan, organize, supervise and evaluate the work of FSSP team.
- Supervise Bachelor’s and Master’s level students from post-secondary institutions.
- Assess employee development and provide training in casework techniques and practices.
- Evaluate employee performance and provide feedback on an on-going basis.
- Evaluate case problems and provide leadership and consultation to Coaches in the development and implementation of case plans and crisis management support.
- Understand, interpret and apply the personnel manual, regulations and departmental policies and procedures. Manages schedule for work hours including office closures and time off requests.
- Coordinate and integrate the work of FSSP team and with the ACHa Connects and WorkSmart West Philly team.
- Plan, schedule and conduct individual and team meetings.
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of FSSP team members.
- Provide supportive intervention and mediation support to coaches and participants.
- Work collaboratively with agency staff and community agencies to facilitate the delivery of services.
- In conjunction with the team, facilitate participant programming, workshops, family enrichment activities, and group meetings on a monthly basis.
- Manage a case load of 7-10 participants.
- Abide by and assist participants with abiding by the terms of the participant handbook and lease.
- Maintain complete and accurate information in participant files and database.
- Participate in management team meetings and make collaborative decisions regarding workload and fiscal management.
- Manage departmental reports, compliance documentation and database.
- Program development including: working on special projects to benefit participants, the program, and the agency, assessing the need for additional participant resources and services, and submitting ideas for program improvements.
- Support the completion of external reports for funders, contracts and compliance.
- Participate in speaking engagements and agency outreach/development activities.
- Assist in developing organizational policies related to programming and services.
- Establish and maintain effective working relations with others.
- Adhere to internal and external deadlines.
- Develop/maintain links with professionals in other self-sufficiency areas and complementary programs in the city.
- Participate in organizational staff meetings and senior team meetings.
- Prepare and present effective written, statistical and oral reports.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience in the human services, social work, or related field, with progressive levels of responsibility, including those at the leadership level.
- A LCSW from an accredited college or university is required.
- Commitment to the mission of ACHIEVEability.
- Supervisory experience with strong skills in program development and policy and procedures.
- Proficient knowledge of principles of human behavior and development and psychological defense mechanisms; laws, policies and procedures of being a mandated reporter.
- Strong ability to represent the interests of the agency, interact effectively with a diverse population with multiple special needs, and be comfortable building successful collaborative relationships with tenants, staff, and with community networking and resource building.
- Culturally competent.
- Has a reliable car with insurance, has a valid driver's license.
- Enthusiastic, energetic, creative, follows through, flexible and eager to learn.
- Willing to work evenings or weekends and comfortable working in an urban environment.
- Able to question and challenge, but adheres to policies and procedures once these are decided.
- General computer skills, including word processing, internet and email.
- Punctuality, flexibility, ability to multitask, and prioritize.
- Excellent listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal and writing skills.
- Ability to communicate and connect with and positively motivate adults and children.
- Great work ethic, positive attitude, sense of responsibility and initiative.
- Ability to cope with setbacks and slow progress.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and exercise tact and self-control.
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance (Company Paid)
- 403B (Company Paid)
- Life Insurance (Company Paid)
- Short and long term disability (Company Paid)
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Reimbursement
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please forward cover letter and resume to Cavery@missionfirsthousing.org