Director, Mid-South Regional Office
5100 Poplar Avenue
Seedco is a national nonprofit organization that advances economic opportunity for people, businesses and communities in need. The Director of our Mid-South Regional Office (MSRO) will be a member of Seedco’s Senior Management Staff and will report to the Vice President of Programs. The Director supervises all staff and activities for Seedco’s Memphis based office, which serves the Mid-South region of Tennessee, Arkansas and Mississippi. The Director is responsible for the strategic planning, forecasting, implementation, and evaluation of all Workforce Development and Work and Family Supports programming in the Mid-South Region. With programs in New York, Maryland, Tennessee, Georgia, and Connecticut, Seedco offers a modern work culture and collaborative leadership team with varied backgrounds in the private, nonprofit and government sectors.
The Director provides oversight of activities performed by participating program partners and subcontracted service providers. Seedco’s Memphis and Mid-South Regional programs, described below, utilize a range of program designs, including programs that are entirely operated by Seedco staff as well as program models where Seedco subcontracts or partners with community-based organizations to provide direct services in target communities.
Seedco’s Mid-South programs are supported by both public and private funders, and currently include the below in addition to others:
- Turning Point, a workforce program serving at risk youth who have experience engaging with the criminal justice system, funded by the U.S. Department of Labor;
- Out of School Youth Program, a workforce program helping opportunity youth in the Memphis community access education, sector trainings and employment opportunities, funded by Memphis WIN;
- Training to Work, a program that helps adults returning to the community post incarceration retain and advance in employment while receiving a host of support services from life skills development to mentoring, funded by the U.S. Department of Labor;
- EarnBenefits Online, Seedco’s signature web technology that screens individuals for more than 20 benefits (e.g. SNAP, Medicaid, energy assistance)
Primary Job Functions:
- Provide oversight of services in all of Seedco’s programs in the Mid-South region, ensuring the programs meet or exceed performance targets, are financially healthy, and provide quality services;
- Participate and drive Seedco’s business model and mission locally through community and business development activities;
- Provide innovative program development and operational ideas and solutions for current and future grants in the Mid-South region;
- Provide oversight and direction to program managers and supervisory level staff;
- Manage key relationships with government agencies, foundations and other strategic partners/funders;
- Bring experience and knowledge serving communities and populations impacted by poverty, underemployment, low levels of educational attainment, and limited connections to public benefits;
- If performance or fiscal challenges are identified, work with Seedco leadership to develop and implement corrective action plans;
- Coordinate with leadership and compliance staff around internal and external program audits, reviews, and responses;
- Coordinate service delivery among all partners, providing capacity-building support, monitoring and ensuring smooth continuous performance;
- Support staff in maintaining and organizing documentation related to outcomes achievement, preparing all required reports;
- Oversee the development of consistent program tools and materials to be utilized in the programs and review the efficacy and usefulness of these tools in managing to consistent, high quality performance;
- Work closely with staff to coordinate services as new initiatives are developed;
- Identify, support, and resolve any operational challenges and provide ongoing program development and prospecting; and
- Together with Vice President, undertake external communications with a range of stakeholders, including funders, employers, local officials, service providers and others.
Supervisory Reports: Mid-South Regional Office staff (10+)
Interacts with: Seedco Senior Management; Seedco MSR office staff; Community Partners; Program Funders; as well as other external partners.
In 2017, Seedco affiliated with a large NYC headquartered nonprofit, Acacia Network, and as a result this role will engage with leadership and support areas of Acacia such as HR, IT, Fiscal, and Legal Services on a regular basis.
Education and Related Work Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience in the fields of asset building, public benefits or workforce development, including 5 years project or grants management experience.
- At least 5 years’ experience supervising management level staff.
- Experience managing large–scale, performance focused government contracts.
- Travel is required on at least a quarterly basis, to conferences and multi-site convenings.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Strong writing, analytical, interpersonal, time-management and communications skills required;
- Must be organized, detail oriented and have the ability to work effectively under pressure in both a team setting and individually;
- Excellent computer skills and proven facility with data management, process flow, spreadsheet and database tracking systems;
- Must possess strong leadership qualities;
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholders and to effectively manage partnerships;
- Must be able to independently manage multiple projects;
- Must have intermediate to advanced skills in Excel; and
- Familiarity with database structure and management is preferred.
Other Special Considerations:
This job is performed under general office conditions, and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested applicants should send their resume and a brief cover letter to: Memphisjobs@seedco.org, with the subject line “Director Mid-South Regional Office”. Due to the large volume of applications we receive, we are unable to personally acknowledge the receipt and status of each one. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Seedco is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Criminal background check is required.