Director of Program Design & Evaluation (Full-time Position)
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA)
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is committed to providing its employees opportunities for growth in a supportive community environment. With a flexible schedule and generous benefits package, SAYA provides its employees a healthy work-life balance in a fast-growing youth development nonprofit.
SAYA: Belong. Grow. Thrive.
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is a 501(c)3 organization for New York City youth ranging in age from first graders to college students. SAYA is South Asian-focused, inclusive and committed to connecting young people from all backgrounds to opportunities. Our mission is to foster a strong sense of belonging in youth and provide them with tools to thrive academically, professionally and personally. Many of our participants are first- or second-generation immigrants and face challenges that can hinder their chances to be academically successful, graduate high school and go to college. SAYA provides an accessible, safe and culturally affirming space for all youth and offers mentorship beyond the classroom so they confidently grow into engaged community members ready for college, career and personal success. Established in 1996, SAYA has grown into a $4.3 million organization currently running programs at nine NYC schools and our community center in Elmhurst, Queens.
The Director of Program Design & Evaluation will provide strategic leadership, support for program and manage the evaluation efforts at SAYA. This individual will oversee the evaluation metrics among the various high school, middle school and elementary school sites. The Director of Program Design & Evaluation will use SAYA’s data as well as city demographics, best practices in positive youth development and other industry trends to develop new initiatives, as well as enhance existing programming. This person will also play a key role in setting and implementing an organizational growth strategy alongside the leadership team.
Senior Director of Programs & Evaluation
- Lead efforts to develop and align evaluation and assessments with program goals, needs of participants, and larger organizational outcomes to improve internal program practices;
- Develop SAYA’s logic model, including the organization and program specific short and long term goals and outcomes;
- Collaborate and lead conversations with SAYA staff, board members and other key stakeholders to determine appropriate metrics and benchmarks to measure program and organizational success;
- Consolidate all current tools and practices for measuring impact to ensure cohesive, consistent, high quality data collection and analysis;
- Work closely with the Senior Director of Programs & Evaluation and external evaluators/organizational partners to design or modify evaluation tools (pre/post-tests, surveys, assessments, interview guides, and focus group protocols) including both qualitative and quantitative methods to create a strategic evaluation plan that measures progress and success against key metrics for both internal program improvement purposes as well as for external reporting purposes;
- Partner with program staff to conduct site visits,observe programming and create program quality reports;
- Design and implement ongoing staff trainings to improve awareness and practices around program evaluation, data integrity and positive youth development;
- Work with the Senior Director of Programs & Evaluation, Executive Director and Development staff to effectively communicate results/outcomes for grants, proposals and other external fundraising communication.
Program Design & Development
- Apply research, data, and policy analysis to recommend appropriate program and service changes, as well as support the development of new initiatives;
- Conduct literature reviews to identify target population needs, demographics, relevant data and other domains affecting new program development and implementation;
- Conduct analysis of relevant census data, as well as other sources for demographic data;
- Act as a liaison between SAYA and external organizations to keep current on best practices;
- Keep colleagues and SAYA program leaders abreast of the latest research findings, trends, and best practices in the field of positive youth development and social-emotional learning;
- Attend meetings and trainings organized by partner organizations;
- Identify trends, needs and gaps in programming based on needs and share possible solutions to address and better serve youth and families ;
- Collaborate closely with Development department on grant proposal development, particularly around new program design elements for new initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum of 3-5 years of experience in program design, measurement and evaluation;
- Master’s degree in Nonprofit Management, Public Administration, Social Work, Education, Business, or related fields strongly preferred;
- Knowledge and understanding of youth development, after school and public education arenas specifically in New York City;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and manage multiple priorities, people and projects effectively;
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills;
- Ability to analyze and synthesize information from multiple sources;
- Skilled in Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Documents and research.
We offer a flexible schedule and a generous benefit package
Minimum Education Required