Deep Center empowers Savannah’s young people to thrive as learners, community leaders, and agents of change. Through creative writing, cultural production, and art, Deep creates platforms for the city’s youth and the village of support around them, including their families and adult allies, to share stories, engage in debates, and make Savannah a more just and equitable place.
Community Engagement Manager Job Description
Deep’s Community Engagement Manager is a salaried full-time position (40 hours/week). The Community Engagement Manager reports directly to the Executive Director (ED), works closely with program directors and our Youth Leadership Team, and is responsible for designing, implementing, and managing Deep’s community engagement plan. The purpose of this plan is to create visibility for youth stories and to strategically leverage these stories to elevate, complicate, and enrich the conversations about what a thriving Savannah looks like.
This not a traditional communications and marketing position--though some of those skills will come in handy. This position requires an individual who understands social, economic, and cultural systems and how historical and contemporary structural injustices adversely affect some communities while benefitting others. The ability to think strategically at the systems level to identify and articulate equitable solutions is a must.
- Creates, implements, and manages community engagement plan
- Helps edit anthologies of youth writing (ten publications per year)
- Manages organizational and programmatic communications across multiple channels, including social media, news media, and promotional materials
- Builds strategic relationships with community organizations for advocacy and systems-change work
- Identifies and coordinates community engagement opportunities
- Assists in coordination of Youth Leadership Team’s community engagement opportunities, including helping them identify high-level writing opportunities and assisting in youth participatory action research projects
- Special events management
- Management of contractors engaged for print, photography, and/or video production projects
- Possesses exceptionally strong oral and written communication skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Warm and enthusiastic interpersonal skills
- Able to be an active participant in an open and democratic work culture
- Skilled copywriter, copyeditor, and proofreader
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Wordpress, Adobe Creative Suite, especially Adobe InDesign, comfort with technology and social media platforms
- Nonprofit and/or education experience highly preferred
- Has an assets-based framework for working with low-income populations
- Able to communicate effectively, passionately, and authentically with activists and community members in diverse groups
- Committed to racial, gender, economic, and social justice
- Well-read in a variety of literary genres and authors, especially those that reflect the experiences of Deep youth
- Identifies as a creative writer (poet, journalist, fiction writer, essayist)
- Dedicated to Deep’s mission
Health benefits (medical, dental, and vision) and paid vacation.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (one creative, one technical) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Community Engagement Manager” in the subject line. Deep Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workplace; LGBTQ, women, people of color and other members of under-represented communities are encouraged to apply.