Network Lobby, 25 E Street, NW Suite 200
NETWORK – advocates for justice, inspired by Catholic Sisters (and the organization behind Nuns on the Bus) – is seeking a Media Coordinator. We are looking for a creative thinker and implementer, who will be responsible for overseeing organizational communications to the media, including social media. They will prepare, pitch, and/or place interviews, articles, press releases, letters to the editor, and other content initiatives. The Coordinator will actively seek out, cultivate, and manage relationships with TV, print, and high-profile online reporters and producers. The Coordinator will help shape NETWORK messaging in response to news of the day. They will strategize and implement dissemination of NETWORK content across social media platforms. They will integrate press, social, and messaging strategies into all organization work. The Coordinator is a strategic, creative thinker and implementer, and is passionate about growing, nourishing, and connecting our network of justice-seekers through traditional and social media.
· Effectively and strategically place NETWORK messaging in the media, including pitching articles, scheduling interviews, producing press releases/advisories, advising letters to the editor, placing op-eds, and creating and overseeing press events
· Build strategic relationships with media representatives, including cultivating, nourishing, and evaluating those relationships; effectively utilizes technology (Cision) as needed
· Strategize and implement media components of advocacy campaigns, and maintain a steady pace of media across all communications channels and vehicles
· Employ social listening tactics to strategically and creatively communicate NETWORK messaging in response to the news of the day; remain abreast of current legislative and non-legislative issues about which the organization may be questioned
· Conduct media trainings (for Board, staff, and/or grasstops activists), and create talking points and other tools for justice-seekers to connect with local media.
· Oversee organization's social media accounts, communicating NETWORK content and opportunities for action daily
o Share all new NETWORK content strategically to have the most impact on our audience
o Respond quickly, with input/assistance from teammates and Government Relations, to breaking news
o Maintain and strengthen relationships with partners, grasstops leaders, elected, and media representatives through social media
o Envision and plan educational/action/seasonal multi-platform campaigns in advance.
· Create and utilize metrics to measure effectiveness externally: utilize media-tracking assessment tools (Cision)
· Staff commitments
o Collaborate in the development and implementation of NETWORK’s organizational objectives within Communications team and as a liaison to other teams
o Occasionally supervise volunteers or interns on specific projects
o Participate in organizational activities: planning, evaluation, development
· 3-5 years of progressive professional experience working with traditional media, including 1-2 years working with elected officials, political campaigns, faith-based advocacy, or communications in the nonprofit world; entry-level applicants will not be considered
· Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or a closely-related field preferred, but not required
· Strong media and political instincts; a sophisticated understanding of the U.S. media and political landscape
· Outstanding communications and interpersonal skills; Spanish fluency desired
· Extensive experience with pitching stories and landing high-profile TV and print appearances
· An excellent persuasive writer, a thorough fact-checker, and a highly-attentive editor
· Skills in social media platforms, graphic layout/design, photography or video editing, and a hunger to learn about new technology and tactics to be on the cutting edge
· Familiarity with Catholic Social Teaching and/or experience with faith-based advocacy organizations is preferred. Experience with disadvantaged populations a plus
· Experience in a detail-oriented position that required a high-level of organizational skills
· Ability to work under pressure, work independently and on a team, meet deadlines with quick turnaround and manage multiple projects
· Commitment to creating a multicultural, anti-racist organization
· Demonstrated skills in collaboration, initiative, analytical thinking, customer service, relationship-building, flexibility, and leadership
This is a permanent, full-time position in our Washington, D.C. office. Starting pay $48,000 per year with generous benefit and leave package, including health, vision, and dental insurance; vacation days plus Christmas week off; quarterly all-staff retreat days; and retirement plan, life and disability insurance.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a résumé and cover letter – as attachments –to email@example.com. Please include “Media Coordinator” in the subject line and let us know in your email where you saw our announcement. Please include examples of – or links to – relevant past work, especially press releases or persuasive pieces you helped write or produce.
First set of interviews will be taken from applications received by June 15, 2018, and applications will be considered until the position is filled. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
It is the policy of NETWORK to conduct all personnel activities in a manner that will ensure equal opportunity for all persons without regard to religion, race, creed, gender, color, age, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Every employee has the right to work in dignity in an environment free from all forms of discrimination or harassment.