1319 F Street, NW
About First Book: First Book is an exciting, nonprofit social enterprise with a 25-year history of growth and expansion, providing educators with the brand new, high-quality books, educational resources, and other essentials needed to help kids learn and thrive. The First Book team is dynamic, agile, smart and mission-oriented. To date we have distributed over 175 million books and educational resources to kids in need throughout the USA and Canada. It’s truly rewarding work!
Our Network of over 380,000 is comprised of passionate advocates who care deeply about education equity for all kids, and the Member Services Team supports these amazing folks by phone, email, and events. With access to our exclusive on-line eCommerce site, our members can shop for the highest quality books and resources to delight and engage the kids they serve. Go on and take a look at www.fbmarketplace.org. We think you’ll like it!
About this cool position: Our Member Services Team of twelve has the greatest job (not to be mistaken for easy!) Monday through Friday, we focus on our members to ensure they are getting the most from our resources and are having the best possible experience with First Book. We answer calls and emails, answer their questions and often have life-altering conversations about the ways they are helping low-income kids survive and thrive! As a Member Services Coordinator, we provide superior customer service, prompt problem-solving, and a delightful experience. Our team knows the inner workings of First Book in order to deliver the best possible experience for every member that calls with questions.
Over the last two years, we’ve installed state-of-the art systems to aid our work, and while the majority of our time is spent talking to members, we also branch out to support other internal First Book teams on various projects and initiatives that further our mission. If you have a mission heart and a clever mind, enjoy working with a team and learning new things every day, First Book may just be the place for you! Now to the details of what’s involved:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: If you want to hit it out of the park, you really need to be able to perform these essential duties (not expected on day #1, however):
· Receive, research, and resolve inquiries from members while acting as their liaison to First Book
· Contact members and notify them of opportunities they qualify for and/or to assist them in completing grant and promotional requirements as needed
· Maintain frequent communication with Members via telephone and email
· Educate new and existing Members about the First Book mission and model
· Communicate benefits and promotions to Members
· Update, track, and record information in databases and contact management systems relating to orders, invoices, inquiries and other pieces of information
· Manage the tracking of books, invoices, payments and other items for specific partner groups
· Prepare, review and maintain targeted and mass communications with Membership network
· Super powers in reading, writing, and speaking must be in your DNA.
· You’ve got to believe the mantra “Teamwork makes the Dream Work!”
· Ability to adapt your communication style to your audience.
· Ability to multi-task and navigate through multiple service channels, like phone, email and chat.
· You’re not afraid to take initiative and address issues as they arise (for members AND your team).
· You enjoy talking on the phone, listening to stories and super-sleuthing problems.
· Timeliness is important to you. It’s really important to us.
· You employ advanced listening and response skills.
· You're nerdy enough to know the ins and outs of Microsoft office and other various and sundry technology including three-hole punches and fax machines.
· Data analysis and interpretation skills are a plus!
· Spanish speakers preferred, but not required.
Education and/or Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree
· Experience working with volunteers and/or community-service groups encouraged
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required