Development Manager or Associate (Full-time; Exempt)
Details: Annual compensation is $52,000 - $59,000 for Development Associate, and $60,000 - $70,000 for Development Manager, based on experience and skills.
436 14th St
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
TransForm is seeking a versatile and highly-organized Development team member who can help us grow our individual giving program in support of our ambitious mission of combating climate change and social inequity through transportation and housing solutions.
About the Position:
The Development Manager or Associate will lead the annual donor program and support donor stewardship to ensure we meet or exceed our individual donor fundraising goals. We are seeking a hardworking and mission-driven fundraiser who is dedicated to social and environmental justice in California, at work, and personally. The Development Manager or Associate will be the lead person working on the annual donor program, including appeals, acknowledgements, cultivation, and benchmarking progress towards goals. This position also supports the senior staff in developing the individual giving plan, and in designing and implementing the major donor program.
This a key position on the Development team and works with staff throughout the organization, board members, and donors at all levels of giving. We are flexible as to whether we hire a Manager- or Associate-level team member and we encourage enthusiastic candidates with a range of skill levels to apply.
TransForm is California’s leading advocate for healthy, connected communities with affordable transportation and housing choices. For over two decades, we’ve brought together environmental, social justice, and health advocates to shape transportation and land use decisions for the benefit of people and the planet.
TransForm is an entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative and inclusive culture. Our staff of 20 works closely with partners at the local, regional, and state levels to create more healthy, connected, and affordable communities. Our main office is in downtown Oakland, with satellite offices in Sacramento and San Jose. Learn more at www.TransFormCA.org.
YOUR KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
The specific responsibilities include:
Overseeing the annual donor program (50%):
▪ Develop, with support from senior staff, a plan to reach individual giving program annual goals.
▪ Manage day-to-day program operations, including email solicitations, direct mail, and the donor acknowledgement process.
▪ Ensure that gift processing and acknowledgement are completed swiftly and accurately with the support of a part-time administrative staff person.
▪ Communicate professionally and respectfully with donors via email, phone calls, and in-person meetings and events as needed.
▪ Organize donor-oriented events in accordance with the individual giving plan, typically including one large event annually.
Supporting donor stewardship (20%):
▪ Support the Management Team in strengthening relationships with major donors, including strategy, cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation.
▪ Keep current on key programmatic goals and accomplishments to be able to describe our impact to donors and help identify timely and strategic content for donor updates.
▪ Collaborate with the Communications and Development teams in creating solicitation and recognition materials, such as the Annual Report, website and newsletter content, appeals, etc.
▪ Help build a culture of philanthropy at TransForm by assisting with events and coordinating with program staff and the Board to help them contribute to fundraising efforts.
Maintaining effective systems for donor relations management and benchmarking (20%):
▪ Maintain an accurate and comprehensive Development Manual documenting gift processing and acknowledgement systems
▪ Work with Communications Director to recommend and implement improvements to the donor database (Salesforce).
▪ Develop and implement regular reports and dashboards in Salesforce to track progress towards goals and identify opportunities for improvement.
▪ Partner with finance staff to complete monthly reconciliation process and other projects as needed.
Other team and organizational responsibilities (10%):
▪ Participate in regular team and staff meetings, and occasional retreats.
▪ Pursue strategic professional development to enhance personal skills and performance in ways that advance team/organizational capacity for success.
▪ Fulfill administrative requirements (timesheets, etc) and contribute to organization-wide efforts, such as the Social Justice Action Plan, as appropriate.
▪ Other relevant duties as needed.
YOU HAVE THESE SKILLS
● A deep commitment to TransForm's mission and a strong desire to be a part of making positive environmental and social change in the world.
● Relevant work experience in individual giving or a related field such as marketing or sales; knowledge of the concepts and best practices of individual donor fundraising, and a thirst for more.
● Demonstrated ability to support the values of the Social Justice Action Plan, and engage with program staff and external stakeholders in a manner that aligns with our internal culture of respect for diversity, inclusion, and equity.
● Effective collaboration on and across teams; ability to communicate clearly with colleagues, hold self and others accountable to agreements, and creatively solve problems.
● Strong communications skills including writing ability, clarity in spoken communications, and an ability to truly engage with people.
● Demonstrated ability to create messaging and marketing content, preferably across multiple channels.
● Strong project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, complete projects on tight deadlines, and rapidly respond to new developments.
● Experience with a donor/Customer Relationship Management (CRM) database. Salesforce experience preferred.
● Proficient with MS Office Suite and Google apps (Drive, Gmail, etc).
● Experience with online marketing software and tools.
● A "can-do" attitude; enthusiastic; graceful under pressure; self-motivated and directed; and a sense of humor and fun.
● Personal and/or work experience with stakeholders and/or social justice organizations that integrate equity and inclusion in their internal and external communications.
YOU MIGHT IDEALLY HAVE THESE SKILLS
● Experience with donor cultivation and online giving.
● Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite.
● Experience with Predictive Response.
● Understanding of social media as it relates to individual giving.
can this read environmental justice or social justice?
this isn't public, how about we combine this bullet with the last bullet in this section.
This is a full-time (37.5 hour/week), exempt position based in our downtown Oakland office. Compensation includes health and dental insurance, generous vacation time, and transit benefits. TransForm also administers a 403b retirement plan.
Minimum Education Required