About Color Of Change
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. Driven by millions of members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Our work – both rapid response and long-term campaigns for change – amplifies the voices of Black folks and our allies, building power and delivering meaningful wins that create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
Role Summary & Background
Since its founding in 2005, Color Of Change has successfully mobilized our members to donate in support of our campaigns via various digital channels. With the organization’s significant growth in 2020, surging to more than 7 million members, we are seeking to hire an experienced Digital Fundraising Manager who can maximize and optimize our effectiveness.
This role will be pivotal in supporting the Digital Fundraising team and working across multiple campaigns to meet this historic moment, including improving the long-term sustainability of our recurring fundraising program to solidify increasing monthly support.
This role will be based in one of two Color Of Change offices (Washington DC and New York City) and will report to the Digital Fundraising Director while collaborating with multiple campaigners across four different campaign teams.
Primarily working with the Digital Fundraising Director, the Digital Fundraising Manager will focus on the following:
Strategy & Planning
- Help develop an innovative long-term strategic plan to increase the effectiveness of Color Of Change’s digital fundraising utilizing multiple digital channels like email, ads, SMS, and web
- Help develop Color Of Change’s recurring revenue strategy
- Identify ideas for new, innovative digital fundraising campaigns, and support internal strategy with a focus on efficiency and collaboration
- Support the digital fundraising programs and efforts to identify, acquire, convert, cultivate and retain donors
- Deepen Color Of Change’s vision for how increased small-donor fundraising builds organizational power and independence in the conduct of winning campaigns
- Under the direction of the Digital Fundraising Director, write and test fundraising copy and produce appropriate landing pages
- Identify and develop the optimization of high-performing fundraising campaigns to determine and cultivate qualified prospects from current and prospective donors
- Work with Color Of Change teams and campaigners to share effective fundraising tactics driven by robust testing strategies; when appropriate, write specific fundraisers or edit the work of campaigners to maximize performance
- Work with other Color Of Change campaigners and teams to develop supporting materials
- Manage and administer fundraising back-end logistics, including potential merchandise campaigns
- Serve as the internal help-desk on all matters related to digital fundraising
- Assist Digital Fundraising Director in convening campaigners responsible for drafting fundraisers to share best practices and establish a learning community, providing formal training when necessary and helpful to individual campaigners or specific teams
Data & Measurement
- Coordinate the fundraising testing process (with leadership from the Digital team and support from the Data & Analytics team), including email test performance, landing pages, contribution flow, and any other key performance indicators
- Seek to achieve clear, measurable gains at each step of the fundraising conversion process
- Support the Digital Fundraising Director’s leadership in owning and meeting organizational fundraising goals
- Develop fundraising information for senior leaders, including presentations, memos, and when appropriate, advocate for program changes to support improved fundraising
- Work with Digital Fundraising Director and a broad set of internal stakeholders to adjust process and practices that strategically align with optimal fundraising, engagement, growth, and impact goals
A qualified candidate should possess:
- A strong racial justice analysis, informed by campaign experience, with an ability to effectively evaluate fundraising strategy through a Black/racial justice lens that results in compelling and effective campaign narratives; ideal candidates will have previous experience working with racial justice-oriented coalitions, organizations, and campaigns
- Experience developing content for a high-volume email program, including rapid response campaigns
- Meaningful experience conducting effective fundraising using a list-based email program and digital fundraising best practices
- Experience with Color Of Changes’s full range of campaign technology and CRMs, including ActionKit and ActBlue
- Strong writing and editing skills, ideally informed by fundraising optimization and testing knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Attention to detail
- A professional demeanor, strong integrity, low ego, and self-motivated drive to consistently perform at a high level
- A willingness to work outside of normal working hours, when necessary, to keep projects on pace and meet goals in a fast-paced environment
The salary for the Digital Fundraising Manager is $76,000. This is a full-time exempt position. Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package.
How to Apply
Click the "Apply for this position" link below and submit a resume and COC-specific cover letter. Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.