111 John Street, Suite 260
Transportation Alternatives is seeking a Human Resources Manager to join our team. The HR Manager leads on and provides support for all HR areas for TransAlt’s team, including personnel policies and procedures; time and labor administration; benefits administration; and performance evaluation. They play an important role in creating and sustaining a positive work environment for all TransAlt staff.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer, and works out of our Manhattan office, based in the Financial District.
- Administers various human resource procedures for all organization personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; maintains and updates the employee handbook;
- In partnership with the COO, develops HR department goals, objectives and systems;
- Conducts annual salary surveys; analyzes compensation; administers the performance evaluation program and revises as necessary;
- Assists with recruitment and interview process; writes and places advertisements; works with supervisors to screen and interview candidates; tracks status of candidates in and responds with follow-up letters at the end of the recruiting process;
- Performs benefits administration, including enrollments, approving invoices for payment and communicating benefits information to employees;
- Conducts onboarding and offboarding processes;
- Administers time and labor system;
- Assists Finance Manager in running payroll;
- Maintains organizational charts, staff and jobs pages of website, and staff list;
- With our HR/payroll provider Paychex, ensures compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws;
- Partners with the COO and senior leadership around HR strategy and implements those strategies;
- Partners with COO on staff Diversity, Equity and Inclusion committee recommendations and implementation;
- Conducts exit interviews, analyzes data and makes recommendations to the management team for corrective action and continuous improvement;
- Responds to employee relation issues such as employee complaints, harassment allegations and civil rights complaints;
- Facilitates or provides staff training;
- Supervises Operations Assistant.
- Knowledge and experience in human resources and benefits administration;
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills; ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and to adapt to changing priorities;
- Demonstrated ability to manage and streamline processes in a complex and diverse environment;
- General knowledge of employment laws and insurance practices;
- Demonstrated knowledge and skill in creating and delivering learning and development opportunities for staff;
- Demonstrated relationship-building and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, and sense of humor; strong organizational skills, meticulous attention to detail and precision in all work;
- Outgoing personality and ability to foster a positive TransAlt culture;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required; must work effectively independently and as part of a team;
- Alignment with Transportation Alternatives’ mission and values;
- Ease in working with people of different backgrounds and levels of education.
- Salary: mid 50’s
- Benefits package includes medical and dental insurance, 401K plan with employer match, commuter benefits
- Paid time off includes 10 holidays, plus one-week winter break; two weeks vacation; and summer Fridays from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
Level of Language Proficiency
Education and Experience:
- 4-7 years of experience in Human Resources in a generalist capacity or equivalent;
- 2-3 years of supervisory experience;
- Experience working in a small, fast-paced environment;
- Experience working in non-profit organizations preferred;
- SHRM certification a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send a resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “HR Manager” in the subject line
Transportation Alternatives is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, age, religion, gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, political orientation or any other characteristic protected by federal state or local law. We value having diverse staff in gender, ethnicity, background and modal preference.