At Team Read our mission is creating opportunities for teens to tutor kids to achieve reading success. Team Read’s dual impact is working towards 2nd and 3rd graders becoming great readers while giving teens a job where they will develop key career and life skills. More information is on our website www.teamread.org.
Team Read is seeking part time (up to 16 hours/week) Team Read+ Site Coordinators for some of our elementary school sites. Team Read+ is an extension of our afterschool program that is 3 hours long, twice a week. Each Team Read+ Site Coordinator will work with a small, dedicated team to run the Team Read+ program at one of our elementary school sites, with oversight from the Program Manager. The Team Read+ Site Coordinator works with a team of Site Support Staff to provide programing (snack, movement, read aloud & related activity) for two hours to a group of elementary school students, and oversees, mentors and manages teen Reading Coaches working 1 on 1 with an elementary reading buddy during the last hour of the day. The Team Read+ Site Coordinator will play an integral role in collaborating with students, families, school personnel, the Program Manager, and Site Coordinators at other sites to develop the Team Read+ program, as well as planning and implementing strong curriculum.
In addition to the time spent with students, this position is responsible for planning and preparing all materials needed for program activities, collaborating with school staff to stay up to date on all students’ reading levels and behavior needs, communicating with parents regarding student attendance and other needs, managing staff expectations by delegating staff responsibilities and preparing for team meetings, planning teen coach community building activities, attending monthly Team Read+ staff meetings to collaborate with staff at other sites, and other responsibilities as they arise.
· Supervises children to ensure their health and safety, throughout program activities and pickup
· Plans, prepares, and supports culturally relevant and developmentally appropriate activities; position involves oversight and design of daily activities, with hands-on support for Site Support Staff who implement activities
· Responsible for overall flow of program schedule and transitions; manages and delegates responsibilities to Site Support Staff
· Maintains professional relationships with families, facility/school personnel and the community
· Manages and supervises one-on-one reading coaching, providing direct support and feedback to teen reading coaches and encouraging best practices, specifically around the Team Read model (training in model provided upon hiring)
· Develops supportive relationship with teen coaches and students, and fosters a positive environment for learning
· Engages teen coaches in community building and skill development to maximize commitment to program
· Tracks student/coach progress
· Attends monthly staff meetings
· At least 2 + years’ experience working with children
· Experience planning and implementing group activities
· Supervision and/or teaching experience strongly preferred
· Experience with positive behavior management preferred
· Flexibility and ability to take initiative
· Solutions oriented problem solver
· Enjoys giving and receiving feedback
· Enthusiasm and passion for working with kids, teens, and literacy education
The work that Team Read does with grade school and high school kids changes their trajectory in life. Students more than double their reading progress while teens achieve confidence and skills from their first job. If you’re interested in joining the Team Read team in making a difference in the community please send your resume and cover letter to Rachel@teamread.org to apply.
Location: South Seattle elementary school (and some off site meetings/work)
Hours: Up to 16 hours/week - 1:30/2 PM to 5:30/6 PM Tuesday/Thursday on site, with additional hours off site for planning, meetings, development, trainings, etc.
Start Date: Late August
End Date: Mid-May to Early June, with potential for additional work in the future
For more information about Team Read visit www.teamread.org
Level of Language Proficiency
Proficient in writing, reading, listening and speaking English
Proficiency with other languages prevalent in Seattle Public Schools (Spanish, Amharic, Somali, Vietnamese, and others) desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following by email: (1) cover letter describing your skills and experiences that make you the best candidate for the position, (2) resume, and (3) 3 references. Please include your first and last name in the file name(s) and send to: Rachel@teamread.org