The Associate Executive Director for Operations is a critical member of Union Settlement’s executive management team, primarily responsible for overseeing Union Settlement’s administrative and operational functions. Working closely with the Executive Director and other senior agency managers, the Associate Executive Director for Operations serves as the agency’s chief operating officer, ensuring that Union Settlement’s administrative functions – including but not limited to all human resources, facilities, information technology, insurance and transportation functions – support and enhance the many vital programs and services that Union Settlement provides to the East Harlem community. In addition, the Associate Executive Director for Operations will ensure that Union Settlement maintains appropriate organizational policies and procedures, and remains in compliance with all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements relating to agency operations. Finally, the Associate Executive Director for Operations oversees coordination among Union Settlement individual programs on a variety of agency-wide initiatives.
· Oversee the agency’s Human Resources, Facilities and Technology departments.
· Work closely with other senior executive staff to ensure smooth and efficient agency operational functions, and to help address any administrative or operational issues that arise.
· Partner with the Chief Financial Officer to ensure that appropriate funding is available for administrative and operational needs, and that spending is within budgeted amounts for those needs.
· Collaborate with the Director of Human Resources and other senior management staff to ensure appropriate and consistent administration and implementation of agency human resources policies and procedures.
· Work with the Assistant Director of Technology to ensure that Union Settlement has appropriate and up-to-date information technology systems, including computer, telephone, copier, internet, document management and other systems.
· Work with the Director of Facilities, the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA), other government agencies and with private landlords to ensure that Union Settlement’s multiple facilities remain compliant with all applicable building, fire and other code provisions.
· Oversee all major renovation and repair projects at all Union Settlement locations.
· Coordinate all major equipment purchases and leases, including vehicles, kitchen equipment, furniture and copiers.
· Ensure that Union Settlement maintains all appropriate insurance coverages.
· Serve as administrator of the agency’s pension plans, and ensure the timely submission of all required filings relating to those plans.
· Oversee, coordinate and/or facilitate a variety of agency-wide initiatives, including the annual Ethnic Festival and Thanksgiving food drive.
· Serve as needed as Union Settlement’s liaison with government, community and academic partners.
· Drive continuous improvement of program service, delivery, and high performance culture.
· Provide leadership, support and direction to ensure that agency goals and objectives, as well as legal, regulatory, contract and grant compliance requirements, are met in a timely, efficient and effective manner.
· Promote collaborative relationships among Union Settlement’s individual programs, and with outside organizations.
· Perform additional duties as assigned.
The ideal Associate Executive Director for Operations will have the following qualifications:
· Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Operations Management, Facilities Management or a related field strongly preferred.
· A minimum of 10 years’ managerial experience, preferably in a nonprofit organization or government agency with multiple sites and a budget of at least $15 million.
· At least five years’ experience in a senior management capacity, preferably in a role overseeing administrative and/or operational functions such as facilities management, information technology, transportation and/or human resources.
· Significant experience overseeing capital projects, negotiating vendor contracts and implementing project budgets.
· Comprehensive knowledge and demonstrated experience in project management, legal and regulatory compliance, budgeting and administrative operations.
· A solid understanding of social service programming and government contract funded programs, and a demonstrated commitment to addressing the needs of individuals and families in underserved communities.
· Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, with the ability to represent the organization externally across a wide range of stakeholders and constituencies.
· Demonstrated experience building internal and external relationships, with the ability find common ground, build consensus and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders in a culturally competent manner.
· Ability to simultaneously manage and balance multiple projects.
· Strategic thinker and leader with track record of achieving organizational objectives.
· Excellent organizational, analytical, financial management and problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrated computer and technology skills.
· Unquestioned personal and professional integrity with a dedicated work ethic.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary requirements, and contact information for at least three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Associate Executive Director for Operations” in the email subject line.