Details: Compensation based on experience
40 Rector Street, 11th Floor
PRIMARY PURPOSE FOR THE POSITION:
Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City (BBBS of NYC) recently launched its new five-year strategic plan, which seeks to deepen the impact of its mentoring programs for New York City’s underserved, at-risk youth (ages 7-18). BBBS of NYC is looking to hire a Grant Writer to be the backbone writing support for the Vice President of Philanthropy as it looks to grow its foundation donor portfolio. The ideal candidate will have the ability to translate program strategy frameworks into compelling proposals and impact reports for institutional funders. This is a great opportunity for an individual with strong writing experience looking to further develop their understanding of program design, implementation, and budgets, as well as gain experience in New York City legislative and budgetary process.
Proposal Development and Grant Writing
- Work with Program and Quality Assurance to develop and write funding proposals and impact reports, and with Finance to develop program budgets and budget reports.
- Work with Program, Finance, and Quality Assurance to gather data, information, and supporting documentation required to prepare and submit funding requests and grant reports.
- Conduct prospect research to identify new foundation and government funding opportunities that align with the organization’s mission, initiatives, and programs.
- Track and manage all proposal/reporting deadlines, submissions, and status updates within Raiser’s Edge.
- Inform relevant staff of awarded foundation grants or government contracts, deliverables, and reporting requirements and deadlines.
· Manage and draft acknowledgments when grants are awarded, and funding is received.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of BBBS of NYC’s strategic plan, initiatives, and programs.
- Stay informed of current issues and trends in mentoring, youth services, and philanthropy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree with at least 4 years of grant writing experience required, preferably in the social service sector; prior program and/or youth mentoring/development experience a plus.
- Must be a strong writer with proven ability to develop high-level, compelling proposals with a theory of change lens; ability to quickly synthesize complex ideas and align them with funder priorities.
- Detail oriented with strong project management skills in planning, prioritizing, and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Must be flexible and open to changing needs and priorities.
- Experience and comfort with budgets and quantitative data is preferred.
- Experience with government contracting processes and various funding streams (federal, state, city) a plus.
- Excellent research, analytical, and communications skills.
- High level of confidence and ability to work independently as well as within a team structure; proven ability to work well with diverse groups of people in different departments and functions.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Raiser’s Edge (or similar donor relations database system).
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter highlighting your major achievements relevant to this position, a resume, and sample proposal submission (no more than 10 pages) to email@example.com. Please include “Grant Writer" in the subject line. Applications without a cover letter and sample proposal submission will NOT be reviewed. BBBS of NYC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, and immigrants to apply. No phone calls please.