1319 F Street Northwest
District of Columbia
About First Book: First Book, a 501c3 nonprofit social enterprise, tackles a pervasive and entrenched issue affecting the 32 million children from low-income families in the U.S. and Canada: unequal access to literacy and educational opportunities. By providing books and educational resources to schools and programs, First Book is elevating the quality of education and improving the lives of children in need.
To date, First Book has provided more than 175 million new books, educational resources and basic needs items to children from low-income families. First Book has also aggregated the largest and fastest growing community of educators and program leaders serving children in need in North America.
About the position: The Communications Coordinator will support First Book’s content efforts across social media, web, blog and other channels. The coordinator will report to the Content Director, with a dotted line to the Senior Director of Communications for select projects.
The Coordinator should have experience in social media, including familiarity with scheduling tools. Successful candidates must have excellent communications skills, both written and verbal. Individual must be well organized and able to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite, basic HTML, Wordpress, or FinalCut Pro is highly desirable. The ability to work in a highly collaborative environment is essential.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Social Media: Work with Content Director to manage First Book's presence and online community on Facebook, Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Pinterest, supervising and collaborating other Marketing Communications staff to curate and create content:
- Monitor and join conversations about First Book and other topics relevant to our mission across the web
- Cultivate and create a strong sense of community among First Book's existing social media audience; react and respond quickly to conversations and comments directed at First Book and our major partners
- Monitor and respond to negative comments and any issues that might affect First Book's reputation or its partners
- Content Campaigns: Work with the relevant teams within First Book to create content. Help manage the First Book editorial calendar. Contribute content to First Book’s blog and social channels, both by writing original content and coordinating with contributors.
- Web Site: Update content on firstbook.org as needed, and help monitor performance of the website, working with other staff members. Familiarity with WordPress is highly desirable.
- Manage communications assets: Manage the organization of First Book’s communications assets, including its photo library, logo library, infographics, research, design files, print and digital collateral. Provide assets to other departments as needed.
- Research: Collect, catalog and organize relevant, First Book’s own first-party and reputable third party data and research for the purpose of including in proposals and in shared content. Keep internal teams apprised of new findings to incorporate in proposals, presentations and media materials.
- Other duties as assigned
Candidates should possess a college degree, a minimum of two years work experience, or equivalent internships, and a strong interest in business-minded nonprofit organizations. Qualified candidates must also:
- Possess strong verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrate the ability to think creatively and tell compelling, impactful stories
- Possess strong organization and time management skills
- Thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Be self-motivated and take initiative
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills
- Be passionate about making a tangible, measurable difference in the lives of those First Book serves.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA/BS in marketing, communications, journalism or other related field
- Min. 2 years experience or equivalent in social media, web-based marketing and/or communications preferred
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume, two writing samples and a cover letter that details your interest in the position to http://firstbook.force.com/careers . Writing samples should be attached to resume/cover letter. Active links to writing samples are acceptable. No phone calls please.