National Brain Tumor Society (NBTS) unrelentingly invests in, mobilizes and unites our community to discover a cure, deliver effective treatments, and advocate for patients and their care partners. NBTS is a leading policy advocacy and research organization as well as a convener of brain tumor research leaders including industry, regulators, funders, clinician researchers and patient advocates. The organization also delivers timely information and support to patients and families. Through collaborative leadership with partners, our results include paradigm shifting research discoveries, increased federal funding for brain tumor research, innovative new clinical trials, opportunities for entrepreneurship and venture philanthropy to benefit brain tumor research, and empowering collaborative advocacy that results in reforms and advances to health care and the development of treatments.
While we have seen significant progress in terms of scientific understanding of brain tumor biology, we are unsatisfied with the status quo of today’s treatment options. NBTS is committed to investment in new ideas and research poised to incent the development and realization of treatments that dramatically increase survival and quality of life for patients.
Join a collaborative team of creative engagement and experience-focused marketing and communications professionals as we carry out our mission of conquering and curing brain tumors—once and for all. Reporting to the director of digital content strategy, you will serve as in-house graphic designer, multimedia designer, and asset manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This is a representative list of the general duties the position may be asked to perform, and is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Digital graphic design:
- Collaborate with the marketing and communications team and partners across the organization to visually represent concepts, programs, and initiatives in a compelling visual format across digital platforms.
- Create dynamic social media graphics across channels, meeting all accessibility and social media guidelines.
- Design suites of assets for emails, including headers, footers, and graphics.
- Create simple, compelling infographics to communicate complex concepts.
- Design visual elements for the website and provide designed materials for peer-to-peer fundraising events and other NBTS initiatives.
- As needed, design compelling PowerPoint or Google slide decks for executive leadership or broad organizational use.
- Prep files for use across platforms using batch automation.
Video production and editing:
- Edit videos for time, quality, and branding purposes for use across digital platforms.
- Crop and edit photos for quality and promotional purposes.
- Create simple animations to add interest and engage audiences (gifs or simple videos).
- Collaborate on photo and video shoots to build a database of photography and b-roll videography for the organization.
- As needed, capture video/photography at events and initiatives for promotion on social media and other platforms.
- Train field staff on capturing effective video/photography at events and initiatives for promotion on social media and other platforms.
- Pitch ideas for creative ways to feature events and initiatives using innovative multimedia approaches.
- Manage vendors in the production of high-quality video content and photography.
Print graphic design:
- Design simple brochures and other promotional print pieces, including the annual report
- Create templated flyers for peer-to-peer events and other NBTS initiatives.
- Sign off on and assist with the creation of promotional giveaways, t-shirts, and other materials.
Brand and asset management:
- Manage organizational flickr account.
- Maintain a database of photography and videography for organizational use.
- Manage the use of logos and other elements of visual brand identity.
- Ensure the photo and video database is diverse and inclusive.
- Manage organizational YouTube channels and increase subscribership with compelling video content.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in graphic design, BA or BS in a related field, or equivalent prior work experience required
- 1-3 years experience in the healthcare or nonprofit industry or nonprofit sector preferred
- Demonstrated graphic design, video, and photo editing skills
- Proficiency in Adobe suite, including Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro, Microsoft PowerPoint, Canva, and Google Slides
- Ability to edit photos and videos
- Experience designing brand elements in adherence to a visual style guide
- Excellent listener and communicator
- Creative, outside-the-box thinker
- Commitment to staying up-to-date on design best practices across industries
- Strong brand management skills
- Ability to translate ideas into creative, engaging, visual content
- Knowledge of social media, email, and web graphic best practices and guidelines
- A desire to work for a mission-driven organization dedicated to helping those facing a life threatening disease
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong collaborative skills
- Proactive self-starter
- Positive (can-do) attitude
Physical Demands and Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Location: Remote (core hours 9:00am to 5:00pm EST, primary work location must be in the United States) or on-site at NBTS headquarters in Newton, MA
- Travel by car and/or plane throughout the US may be required approximately 5% of the time.
- Role is largely sedentary, with infrequent light physical effort required. On-site work is performed in an ADA compliant office environment, and workspace may be shared.
NBTS provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.