Details: Competitive salary and benefits, including employer funded health and dental insurance, mileage reimbursement, retirement plan, life insurance.
237 Hamilton Street
Organization: Connecticut Association for Human Services
Title: Program Coordinator (VITA/Asset Building)
Employment Status: Full-Time
Reports to: Program Director
CAHS seeks a Program Coordinator to manage our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance campaign across the state and related asset-building efforts. Overall, this role includes: program development and coordination with other programs (from CAHS and partner agencies), volunteer coordination, marketing/communications, and fundraising. The position is based at CAHS Hartford Office, but requires significant travel (~30%) around Fairfield, New Haven and Litchfield Counties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with local coalitions, coordinate strategic VITA outreach/marketing efforts across seven VITA regions across the state, including overseeing design of marketing materials, identifying community organizations to receive flyers/posters, building relationships with local businesses, and nonprofits, coordinating outreach with regional United Ways, etc. Coordinate development of new VITA sites with local partners and IRS.
- Coordinate (social) media outreach campaign and maintain relationships with local elected officials and community leaders to raise awareness of the VITA program locally in each region. Plan all VITA-related events, including tax season “kickoff” press conferences (January) and volunteer recognition dinners (April-May). Draft, distribute and pitch news releases, media alerts and other VITA related stories, Design flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material for major events hosted by CAHS
- Work with IRS to ensure VITA website and 2-1-1 have updated information. With support of CAHS Program staff when possible, schedule & facilitate monthly VITA coalition meetings (September-June) with each VITA community. Work with other CAHS staff when possible to follow-up on suggestions resulting for coalition meetings related to outreach, marketing, and volunteer recruitment in local communities.
- Support VITA volunteer recruitment, placement, training, and recognition efforts. Conduct information sessions at businesses and other organizations to recruit volunteers; ensures online volunteer opportunity listings are updated. Use Volunteer Hub and other recruitment websites to help place volunteers at VITA sites. Coordinate volunteer recruitment efforts with regional United Ways. Develop online and in-classroom training for volunteers & site coordinators on connecting VITA clients to financial education & asset building programs. Support planning of IRS classroom trainings.
- Develop connections between VITA sites and asset-building/financial education programs by recruiting dedicated “Savings Specialists” volunteers, providing informational materials and technical assistance to sites, updating fact sheets on relevant programs in each community, creating asset building kits for sites, etc. Develop online and in-classroom trainings for Savings Specialist volunteers in conjunction with other CAHS program staff.
- Connect VITA program to CAHS’s policy work as appropriate; for example, by working with VITA sites to collect client stories about impact of the CT Earned Income tax Credit to share with legislators. Continually stay informed about nationwide and regional emerging and best practices, and related policy issues, in the free tax prep & asset-building field by participating in educational webinars, attending relevant conferences, building relationships with similar programs, etc.
- Oversee management of the federal IRS VITA and other VITA grants, including grant writing, budget management & distribution of mini-grant funds to VITA sites, and periodic reporting to IRS. Ensure adherence to IRS Quality Requirements, keeping organized and detailed documentation of partnership agreements, activities and finances. Work with CAHS Program Director to manage partnerships with other VITA funders, including United Ways and corporate/foundation donors.
- Coordinate with CAHS research and evaluation staff to obtain local VITA site data from the IRS software, work with sites to promote participation in auxiliary surveys, and provide data analyses to sites to inform their programs.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-4 years nonprofit work experience, with at least 1 year of program coordination and/or marketing/communications/media relations experience.
- Comfortable working with diverse populations, funders, volunteers, and community partners.
- Ability to work well independently, manage competing priorities and work under deadlines.
- Experience writing and managing grants required; experience with federal grants helpful.
- Excellent organizational, written & verbal communication (including public speaking) skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Must have access to reliable car/transportation for required travel throughout CT
- Experience in programs related to the economic stability of lower-income households.
- Experience providing technical assistance to nonprofit groups, and/or with community organizing, extremely helpful.
- Experience coordinating volunteers and using online volunteer coordination websites (i.e., Volunteer Hub) helpful.
- Program evaluation experience or training helpful.
- Candidates with past experience working as a VITA volunteer, site coordinator, or who have some familiarity with the VITA program will be given preference
Minimum Education Required