Planned Parenthood Texas Votes (PPTV) is the statewide advocacy arm of Planned
Parenthood affiliates in Texas that engages supporters of reproductive health to fight to protect
and expand women’s access to preventative and reproductive healthcare, including abortion.
The work at PPTV is fast paced and deals with complex and high priority matters related to the
electoral and legislative politics of women’s health in Texas. Our programs range from talking to
voters about the politics of abortion to advocating to protect state funding for breast cancer
PPTV is expanding our field team and is hiring a Community Organizer that will work for both
PPTV and PPTV Political Action Committee (PAC).
The Community Organizer is responsible for carrying out Planned Parenthood Texas Votes’
mission and advocacy objectives, engaging new supporters in the fight for reproductive health in
Texas, developing volunteer leaders and advocates, building and attending community events,
and executing effective issue and voter education campaigns.
This is a full-time position based in San Antonio, Texas. In addition, the South Texas
Community Organizer will manage two Youth Organizers, one based in San Antonio and one
based in the Rio Grande Valley.
- Recruit, train, and activate volunteers to support Planned Parenthood and access to reproductive healthcare by engaging in issue advocacy, voter education, and electoral campaign activities.
- Build effective volunteer leaders and teams and communicate with volunteer leaders on a regular basis.
- Implement effective programs, actions and campaigns to increase advocacy for local Planned Parenthood supporters.
- Organize and execute field tactics such as phone banks, door-to-door canvasses, and other community events such as house parties, town hall meetings, volunteer orientations, and leadership development trainings.
- Identify student leaders and coordinate outreach events on college campuses to educate and activate college students to advocate on reproductive health and rights issues.
- Supervise two Youth Organizers, including managing local work plans, offering professional support, and holding staff members accountable to reporting on progress.
- Attend community meetings, conferences, and events on behalf of Planned Parenthood Texas Votes.
- Develop meaningful relationships with community leaders, allied organizations, and coalition groups to build the base of support in the community.
- Maintain all data in the Voter Activation Network (VAN), including new supporter sign ups and events.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Any combination of at least (5) years of work experience and/or college-level education,with at least one (1) of year experience directly related to women’s issues, public policy,politics, community organizing, movement building, and/ or volunteer management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships, and work collaboratively, with
- Planned Parenthood supporters and volunteers, PPTV and affiliate staff, as well as external partners and consultants.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and complete assignments in an efficient manner, as well as adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and carry out work effectively, with minimal supervision while working remotely.
- Ability to manage a diverse team effectively.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline driven team environment .
- Working knowledge of Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite, and other technical tools.
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Licensed driver with access to a reliable, insured vehicle.
- Bilingual, English/Spanish preferred.
- Deep appreciation for the mission of Planned Parenthood and knowledge of and commitment to other progressive causes.
- Enjoys meeting and speaking with new people, and sharing with and learning from others.
- Interest in Texas and progressive politics.
- Self-motivated; able to identify priorities and complete work independently.
- Comfortable in ambiguity; able to create clarity and understanding.
- Strong organizational skills and detailed-oriented.
- Flexible work style; enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Excited to learn the use of data to set goals and measure progress.
- Comfortable with technology, and able to learn new tools quickly.
- A direct and open interpersonal communication style
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes is an equal employment opportunity employer and is
committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate
against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex,
national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity,
or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to
creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity,
customer focus, and innovation.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
This position is full-time, with a minimum salary of $40,000 annually, commensurate with
experience. PPTV is proud to offer a competitive benefits package for full-time employees that
includes 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage, life and AD&D and short
term and long term disability for the employee. We also offer optional flexible spending account
and additional life coverage. Full-time employees receive 11 paid holidays plus an additional
winter break and two weeks paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com.
- Indicate “Community Organizer - South Texas” in the email subject line.
- All applications must be received by 11:59pm CST, Wednesday, September 26, 2018.
- All attachments should be saved in PDF format and named in the format of “Last Name, First Name - Document Name”.
- Cover letters included in the body of the email will not be accepted.
- References from employment, academic and volunteer experience are acceptable.