Summary/Description: RHI seeks a dynamic, dedicated individual as a Deputy Director (DD). Reporting to - and working closely as a partner with - the Executive Director (ED), the DD will be a seasoned leader and coach, with the ability to operate on strategic, managerial and hands-on levels and to help guide the organization across programmatic and administrative functions. This role is being created at RHI as part of the transition to support the organization’s new Executive Director.
The DD will bring proven nonprofit management expertise and experience in community-based programs, youth development, advocacy/organizing, finance, operations, and/or other relevant disciplines. The DD must have a keen attention to detail, the ability to delegate effectively, a proven track record in motivating and unifying teams, and have solid organizational, problem-solving, and clear decision-making skills. The DD will be comfortable with and committed to fostering the development of staff.
The DD identifies opportunities and challenges and works across departments and teams to come up with highly innovative solutions. Two core teams will roll up to the DD’s supervision: Operations, including HR, facilities, IT, finance, and legal; and Programs, ranging from urban farming to community organizing to youth development. The DD’s work will serve to increase the effectiveness and impact of RHI’s services in Red Hook.
The DD must demonstrate a highly focused social justice lens, excellent communications and relationship-building skills, a deep belief in the power and potential of engaged communities, and the ability to promote a clear, inspirational vision for RHI’s next chapter. The DD will contribute to RHI’s work to review its internal practices with the goal of rooting out the ways anti-Black racism shows up in our workplace and board. Ideal candidates will bring some connection to or knowledge of Red Hook and/or similarly marginalized communities.
Responsibilities: Together with the ED, the DD will develop a plan to share and allocate responsibility for key leadership tasks, including:
● Proactively identify internal opportunities and challenges and work with the ED to address them
● Manage key projects and special initiatives that relate to organizational growth
● Provide oversight of internal operations, including Human Resources, Finance, Legal, Governance, IT and Facilities Management
○ HR priorities include development and implementation of effective recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, training and professional development policies; sustaining an internal culture that promotes initiative, appropriate risk taking, learning, cooperation, equity, and mutual respect
○ Financial priorities include budgeting, reporting, audits and compliance, especially around government grants and accounting related to restricted funds
○ Facilities priorities include developing a long-term space plan for the organization and implementing health and safety protocols in response to COVID-19
○ IT priorities include evaluating RHI’s third party helpdesk vendor; the ability to support remote work arrangements; and the cybersecurity measures
● Provide high-level input to inform decisions the organization makes around both legal and financial risks, such as contracts and insurance policies
● Provide high-level input to inform staffing decisions related to growth, performance and accountability
● Evaluation: Assist in improving and monitoring the organization’s performance reporting systems (including program and fundraising data); ensure successful adoption of Salesforce database; Contribute to the ongoing development of the database in tracking prospective funders as well as program outputs and outcomes
● Support two senior leaders in overseeing RHI’s farm, organizing, and youth development work
● Lead staff in long-term program planning, establishing outcomes and clear project plans
● Work with the senior leadership team to develop and evaluate program strategies and goals
● Assist in developing strategies to engage young people and organizations from Red Hook in the programs and services offered by RHI
● Work with external partners to harness resources for RHI and the larger Red Hook community, including but not limited to opportunities for employment, enrichment opportunities and enhanced educational opportunities
Fundraising and External Relations
● Contribute to grant writing and reporting processes
● Represent RHI as appropriate with stakeholders, partners, and funders
● Support and sometimes lead fund development efforts
Supervision and Staff Management
● Provide coaching and training to push staff members to reach long-term professional goals
● Run Leadership team meetings
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
● Approachable, collaborative, and willing to learn as well as teach
● Team-player capable of working both collaboratively and independently
● Flexible and able to multi-task; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
● Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and solving complex operational problems
● Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills, and the ability to translate data into clear and simple messages for a wide range of audiences
● Superb interpersonal skills, including the ability to generate respect and trust from colleagues, direct reports, and external constituents
● Ability to maintain calm and steadiness during times of crisis or stress
● Ability to provide long-term, inspirational vision while simultaneously creating pragmatic solutions to day-to-day problems
● An understanding of how trauma impacts traditionally marginalized individuals and communities and how this influences the design and delivery of programs serving them
● Deep passion for RHI’s mission and values; commitment to building and maintaining a workplace that reflects the population served by the organization, as demonstrated through RHI’s commitment to hiring from the community
Experience and Qualifications:
● Extensive senior management experience in a dynamic, responsive environment
● Proven track record of strategic financial management, business strategy, strategic planning
● Experience creating and managing budgets
● Ability to manage complex projects and departments
● Highly skilled at staff management, coaching, and development
● Experience managing cross-functional teams to develop and implement systems and processes to increase effectiveness and efficiency
● Experience navigating complex issues and making difficult decisions, often in high-pressure situations
Compensation: The annual salary for this position will start at 125K, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deputy Director” in the subject line.
Summary/Description: RHI seeks a dynamic, dedicated individual as a Deputy Director (DD). Reporting to - and working closely as a partner with - the Executive Director (ED), the DD will be a seasoned leader and coach, with the ability to operate on…