Campaign for Accountability Seeks Staff Attorney Focused on Reproductive Rights
- Job posted by Campaign for Accountability
District of Columbia
Campaign for Accountability (CfA), a non-profit government watchdog focused on public accountability, is seeking a staff attorney to advance access to reproductive healthcare.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced lawyer to lead efforts to use the law to advance reproductive rights and hold the anti-abortion movement accountable. Litigation and legal work are central to our efforts, and we’re looking for an innovative, aggressive attorney to join our small team. We use the law creatively to promote governmental accountability and to uncover ethical problems and malfeasance in the anti-choice movement. This requires initiative, skill, and ingenuity in identifying and crafting legal strategies.
The ideal candidate will have legal research and litigation experience, and, ideally, familiarity with government record-keeping and/or ethics laws. Familiarity with the pro-choice movement would also be helpful.
The position is located in Washington, DC. Applicants must be licensed to practice law in the District of Columbia.
· Identify opportunities to uncover anti-choice activist malfeasance.
· Review and conduct research to spot potential legal issues.
· Engage in legal and factual research, discovery, depositions, motions practice, brief writing, appellate work and amicus briefs.
· Draft Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and state open records act requests.
· Draft court pleadings, including complaints, motions, and briefs.
· Track FOIA and open records request deadlines.
· Prepare reports and requests for investigations.
· Represent CfA in meetings with allied groups.
· Collaborate with pro bono counsel.
· Participate in senior leadership team meetings and decision-making.
· Work with communications and development teams on messaging materials.
· Explain CfA’s legal actions and policy positions in traditional and social media.
· Law degree and at least 5 years of litigation experience.
· Proven record of conceiving and executing creative legal strategies.
· Demonstrated knowledge of open record laws.
· Strong organizational and project-management abilities.
· Exceptional legal writing, research and verbal communications skills.
· Demonstrated commitment to reproductive rights.
· Sound judgment and ability to analyze situations and information.
· Ability to work collaboratively.
· High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
· Outstanding communications skills.
Campaign for Accountability is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, persons with disabilities, LGBT individuals and veterans encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous and comprehensive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send application materials, including a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest, resume, and writing sample to: email@example.com.