Details: Depends on Experience
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Legal Practice Assistant serves as an integral part of the Philadelphia, PA office of Earthjustice and assists the Sr. Legal Practice Administrator staff in all of her duties managing the day-to-day functions and administration of the office and for the Coal, Clean Energy and Oceans programs. The Legal Practice Assistant helps with events and projects and provides operational and administrative services as needed to the team.
Technology Support (20%)
- Helps remote I.T. staff with trouble-shooting hardware and software problems.
- Manages printing equipment throughout the office, handles printing issues and coordinates with vendors on maintenance and leases.
- Sets up and trouble shoot video conferences.
- Serves on a working group that communicates technology developments to program staff.
- Serve as primary contact for building to coordinate maintenance.
- Calendars and coordinates use of the video-conferencing equipment.
- Maintains conference room calendars.
- Signs for packages; receives and sorts U.S. mail, sends out Federal Express, UPS and USPS packages.
- Monitors the main Coal Program email inbox and voicemail, routes emails and voicemails left on the main line to appropriate staff members, and fields general public inquiries.
- Keeps running list of inventory in the supply room, ensures adequate stock of office supplies are maintained, and manages all supply orders.
- Able to stand in for the Sr. Legal Practice Administrator when necessary.
- Greets guests and meeting attendees, alerts staff of visitors and assigns visiting Earthjustice employees work space, computers and conference room facilities within the office suite.
- Answers general questions about office facilities, equipment, and operation.
- Disseminates and tracks building access cards to staff and temporary workers for entry into the building, with an eye to ensuring proper access and security.
- Maintains kitchen, copy room and other common areas and ensures building staff are adequately providing janitorial services.
- Notifies staff of building maintenance, events, closures and adjusted hours of operation.
- Serves as the lead safety coordinator for building/office emergencies.
- Enters and tracks maintenance requests through the building self-service portal.
- Conducts research as assigned on facilities services, vendors and policies, such as recycling.
- Scans financial documents.
- Reconciles credit card statements for Coal, Clean Energy and Oceans programs.
- Opens mailed invoices, organizes and codes documents for the Sr. Legal Practice Administrator to pay and process.
- Reminds staff when timekeeping is due before each month. Reviews time and follows up with staff regarding missing time.
- Assists staff in proper expense report procedures. Assembles and codes receipts for expense reports and checks for proper formatting.
Special Projects (10%)
- In support of meeting and event planning, conducts research regarding hotel rates, conference facilities, and transportation services; makes travel reservations; orders food/catering service; and helps coordinate office events and activities for staff and visitors.
- Assists with scheduling of candidate interviews and with new employee onboarding and orientation.
- Provides back up support to the Sr. Legal Practice Administrator as needed.
- Provide occasional administrative support to Litigation Assistants as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 1-year of office experience.
- Bachelor of Arts/and or Bachelor of Science.
- Excellent computer skills and PC computer savvy, including a solid understanding of the Microsoft Office suite of applications (ideally 2016 and Adobe Acrobat.
- Outstanding problem-solver and proactive.
- Strong ability to multi-task, exceptional organizational skills with great attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a variety of people and also independently with little supervision.
- Sense of humor.
- Interest in environmental and/or energy issues a plus.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.