1211 Connecticut Avenue Northwest
District of Columbia
The Henry L. Stimson Center's South Asia Program welcomes applications from highly-motivated graduating seniors or individuals who have completed their undergraduate studies in the past year for its inaugural cohort of Junior Fellows.
The one-year, full-time fellowship will provide individuals with a unique opportunity to expand their knowledge of security issues in the subcontinent, engage the South Asia policy community in Washington, and experience working at a dynamic think tank with close interaction with senior staff and researchers. Junior Fellows will receive a salary of $3083.33 per month ($37,000 for the full year) as well as health insurance and a transit benefit for the duration of the fellowship.
Junior Fellows will contribute to the Stimson South Asia Program's research on deterrence challenges, crisis dynamics, and great-power competition in Southern Asia, with prospects for co-authoring a written product with program researchers. Fellows will directly engage with U.S. government officials and South Asia scholars in Washington through private meetings, have the opportunity to present their research, and receive professional development trainings. Fellows will also support program initiatives such as South Asian Voices and Nuclear Learning, help facilitate Track II workshops and conferences, and represent Stimson at events at think tanks, universities, and on Capitol Hill.
The Stimson South Asia Junior Fellowship will help emerging analysts develop the research, analytical, writing, and project management skills required to succeed in fields related to peace and security in South Asia.
- A strong academic background in: South Asian political, economic, or security issues; nuclear issues; or international relations theory, political theory, or political economy.
- B.A. in Political Science, International Relations, South Asian Studies, or a related field.
- Demonstrated analytical, research, and writing skills.
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with peers in a team environment.
- A record of academic excellence.
- Precise editing skills (work experience in university writing center or newspaper a plus).
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States for the full twelve months of the fellowship following graduation.
- Ability and interest in working with quantitative data.
- Hindi, Urdu, or Mandarin language skills.
- Event management experience.
- Experience living/working in South Asia and/or work in intercultural settings.
- A one-page statement of interest laying out the candidate's research interests and career goals. Applicants should discuss how they can contribute to the mission and work of the Stimson South Asia Program and how the Stimson South Asia Junior Fellowship would contribute to their long term professional growth.
- A two-page curriculum vitae including all educational qualifications, study abroad experience, and extracurricular activities, as well as any work experience to date.
- Unofficial transcript(s) with academic record of undergraduate and study abroad experience.
- One letter of recommendation from a professor or former employer explaining what qualifications, skills, and experiences make the candidate a good fit for the fellowship;
- A writing sample of no more than two pages on a topic related to South Asian political or security issues.
Letters of recommendation should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Stimson South Asia Junior Fellowship- 'Last name of applicant."' All other application materials should be submitted as PDF documents through Stimson's online application system.
Completed applications are due June 8, 2018. Interviews will be conducted approximately 2 weeks after the submission deadline and final decisions will be communicated in early July. Applicants selected for interviews may be required to complete one or more short research, editing, and/or writing assignments. The fellowship will begin in late August/early September 2018 and continue through July/August 2019.
For questions or additional information, please email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required