Everytown for Gun Safety, the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country, is seeking a passionate, dedicated professional to join our team as a Communications Associate for state affairs work. As the counterweight to the gun lobby, our work has a very strong focus on pushing for stronger gun laws in state legislatures, and defeating dangerous gun lobby priorities in states.
Primary responsibilities include supporting the development and execution of communications strategy for Everytown and all of its parts – Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, the Everytown Survivor Network and Mayors Against Illegal Guns – with supporters and volunteers in states across the country. This includes extensive writing and direct engagement with journalists on both reactive and proactive media relations. The position has a focus on managing and executing the communications work for multiple state legislative campaigns at a time, which, like all politics, can often be unpredictable.
Organizational and strong writing skills required, and a willingness to work in a campaign-like environment is mandatory. Job candidates should feel comfortable learning and translating policy positions, engaging with the media and juggling multiple projects at a time. Ideal candidates will have experience in writing everything from talking points, to press releases to opinion pieces and more. This position is based in New York, NY.
- 3-5 years of experience
- Exceptional writing ability with the ability to create dynamic, persuasive communications materials
- Proven communication and media relations experience, with the ability to work effectively across various media and platforms
- Project management skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities gracefully
- Interest in politics and advocacy on both a national and state legislative level
- Willingness to work with a growing team in a fast-paced, campaign-like environment (sometimes unpredictable hours and crisis situations)
- Be a dynamic team player and maintain a sense of humor
- While not required, knowledge of gun violence prevention issues is a plus
- While not required, fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Position is based in New York City or Washington, D.C.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until the job is filled. Please attach a resume and cover letter below.
About Everytown for Gun Safety
Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than 4.5 million supporters and more than 250,000 donors including moms, mayors, survivors and everyday Americans who are fighting for public safety measures that respect the Second Amendment and help save lives. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the Everytown Survivor Network. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Candidates who identify as members of historically underrepresented groups are highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our organization and vital to our success.
Minimum Education Required