The Climate Action Network (CAN) is a worldwide network of over 1300 Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in more than 120 countries, working to promote government and individual action to limit human-induced climate change to ecologically sustainable levels.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional, and national climate issues. CAN has regional network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will work with the Finance Manager, the Head of Operations, and the Deputy Executive Director to ensure routine financial management and administrative tasks are carried out in an accurate and timely manner by following internal procedures, grant requirements, etc.
- Processes reimbursement and payment requests and supports team to ensure all requests are submitted accurately, on time, and that the team’s thorough understanding of all requirements is ensured on a continuous basis;
- Diligently checks invoices to be paid and supporting documentation to be aligned with internal policies and procedures, best financial management and accounting practices, and department budgets;
- Works with staff to resolve issues surrounding the reimbursement and payment process;
- Assists in expenses tracking, maintaining financial records, including filing and archiving of receipts, invoices, etc.;
- Develops and delivers trainings to ensure new and existing staff are properly informed of all requirements;
- Supports audits;
- Assesses needs, compiles information and makes reports on administrative and financial processes and related requirements across the organization;
- Maintains both electronic and physical filing systems;
- Assists with day to day administration of the organization including, but not limited to, maintaining subscription services such as conference call and software providers;
- Maintains, configures and updates internal CAN databases and online tools as needed;
- Assists in analyzing, researching, and making recommendations for technological improvements throughout the organization;
- Assists contractors, consultants, and interns with technological needs, questions, and delivers trainings as needed;
- Other duties as assigned.
The responsibilities of the Finance and Administration Assistant are expected to increase over time and are dependent on further developments in the organization.
- Previous experience working in operations, administrative and/or financial management in an international organization or a non-governmental association, previous experience with tax-exempt non-profits a plus;
- Experience managing finances and accounting in multi-currency system;
- Experience working with European and German donors an asset;
- Extremely detail-oriented;
- Advanced to expert knowledge of technologies, their functions, and how to implement them within an NGO or non-profit space;
- Quick learner who has the ability to pick up new technological concepts and think outside the box;
- Knowledge of back-end programming technologies such as SQL;
- Some knowledge of basic coding such as HTML, Java, or php;
- Ability to navigate budgetary constraints and make open-sourced or low-cost technologies effective for the organization;
- University degree or equivalent professional experience in a relevant field;
- Previous professional experience working with Excel, electronic filing, and electronic systems development;
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English. Fluency in German a strong asset;
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to meet competing deadlines and work in a fast-paced high-pressure environment;
- Ability to work independently and in a remote office environment;
- Comfortable communicating over email, Skype and using other online management tools;
- Strong interpersonal skills, very loyal and trustworthy;
- Reliable internet access.
Level of Language Proficiency
Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English. Fluency in German a strong asset;
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply Online or
Send a motivation letter and resume to email@example.com, with subject: “Finance and Administration Assistant.” Position will be open until filled, we encourage early application as we seek to fill this position as soon as possible. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis.
Applications that do not contain both a motivation letter and resume will not be considered.
Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
CAN is an equal opportunity employer.