Details: Salary range is based on experience, qualifications and fit.
646 Malcolm X Boulevard
BASIC FUNCTION: Reporting to the President, the Senior Director of Development provides leadership and directs the overall planning for Mission Society’s private and government fundraising. The Senior Director of Development also works closely with the Board of Directors staffing the Development Committee and the Governance Committee.
· Working in consultation with the President, establish short-and long-range goals, objectives and activities for the Development program that reflects the needs and priorities of Mission Society and the planned Minisink Charter School.
· Direct the identification, cultivation and solicitation and stewardship of donors as well as volunteer leadership who have the potential for supporting Mission Society through major and planned gifts.
· Provide guidance to the President and board members; provide oversight to the professional staff and volunteers for prospect identification, research, cultivation and solicitation.
· Establish goals for Board members’ involvement in the fundraising effort and participate in the solicitation of individual board members when it is deem appropriate to do so.
· Expand Mission Society’s donor base by cultivating relationships with individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies to identify potential new sources of funding.
· Lead fundraising efforts for annual Gala Dinner.
· Lead and supervise the Development Department staff and will train and coordinate the efforts of the volunteers involved in development.
· Supervise data processing functions relating to gift recording, data entry, donor recognition, and financial reporting.
· Submit weekly reports to the President and quarterly reports to the Board, when appropriate.
· Coordinate efforts with the CFO to ensure the clarity, accuracy, and consistency of fundraising reports.
· Provide advice, counsel, and staff support to the President and the Board of Directors in all matters pertaining to Development.
· Establish and maintain effective policies and procedures to ensure competent management of Mission Society’s comprehensive Development program.
· Coordinate with other key staff members of Mission Society, writing and submission of grants for program support.
· Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree preferred.
· Five years of successful fundraising experience. Significant experience in major donor as well as foundation and corporation solicitation.
· Demonstrated record of achievement with developing and participating in programs for individual donors.
· Progressive and responsible leadership experience in fundraising including prospect research, major gift solicitation, capital campaigns, planned giving, the annual fund, and corporate and foundation solicitations.
· Ability to work effectively under pressure.
· Successful experience supervising, nurturing and collaborating with a diverse staff in a manner that is flexible and supportive, yet ensures accountability. Ability to mentor and manage a staff to reach fundraising goals for the organization.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to interact with diverse individuals and the demonstrated ability to inspire the confidence of Board members and fundraising community. Ability to motivate and support volunteer leadership.
· Creative problem-solving ability coupled with a customer service approach to challenges and a cooperative spirit. Passionate, inspiring and dedicated. Must impart credibility, trust, enthusiasm and integrity and motivate others in similar vein.
· A team builder, collaborator and coalition builder who can bend when necessary yet be empathetic and decisive when called for. Be creative and astute with energy, imagination and flexibility to make things happen.
· Capacity to understand the work of Mission Society, and a commitment to its mission and its programs. Demonstrated community involvement and interest in public affairs as well as informed knowledge of social service industry.
· Interpersonal skills, community leaders, donors and volunteers.
· Strong competency in donor-based software, preferably Raiser’s Edge, social media, and Microsoft Office Suite.
Comprehensive benefits include medical, dental, life, long term disability insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with employer match, TransitChek, Employee Wellness Program, Municipal Credit Union membership, voluntary supplemental insurance options.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested and qualified individuals should forward their resumes with cover letter to HR@nycmissionsociety.org, Re: Senior Director of Development Position or fax to 212-979-5764.
Visit our website at www.nycmissionsociety.org.
Note: We are unable to accept phone calls. Applicants must meet qualifications stated above. Only applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
New York City Mission Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.