150 West 17th Street
About the Position
The Head of Major Gifts will lead the museum’s efforts to deepen, broaden, and increase support from major donors. The incumbent will lead the strategic vision for major gifts and expand the portfolio of major donors who support the Rubin Museum’s exciting exhibitions and programs, and other priorities, increasing philanthropic support from $1-2 million over the coming years. The Head of Major Gifts will lead a team that identifies, cultivates, solicits, and stewards a portfolio of prospective and current major donors.
The Head of Major Gifts will supervise a Major Gifts Manager. She/he will interface with all levels of the organization, including with members of the Board of Trustees; Executive Director and team; and across departments. The Head of Major Gifts will be part of a 17-member External Affairs team.
The incumbent will report to the Director, External Affairs.
· Works closely with the Director, External Affairs, to craft a 3-year strategy to expand the pool of major donors, to build a pipeline for the Board of Trustees, and to increase philanthropic support for the Rubin.
· Leads prospecting, using a recent wealth screening and other research, and supports Trustees and other donors in engaging their networks of philanthropists.
· Creates a moves management approach to engaging, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding relationships.
· Meets with and sets up meetings for approximately 180 donors and prospective donors per year.
· Builds both financial and non-financial goals and measurable outcomes and cultivates a team approach toward reaching those goals.
· Prepares and works with team members to prepare briefings and research.
· Creates engagement strategies, gift ideas, messaging, and a case for support.
· Supervises and manages a Major Gifts Manager. Builds an effective team through collaboration, guidance, and coaching.
· Represents the Rubin Museum at events and on other occasions.
· Tracks, analyzes, and prepares reports on progress of major gifts.
· Builds and manages departmental budgets and revenue targets.
· Maintains high quality of quantitative and qualitative information in Raiser’s Edge.
· Keeps abreast of Rubin Museum’s goals and projects and accurately communicates the museum’s ideas and achievements to donors and prospects.
· Helps shape an internal culture of philanthropy.
· Assumes other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree required; Masters preferred.
· 5-10 years of experience in a non-profit setting, preferably with significant solicitation experience as well as experience managing teams and budgets.
· Must have excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
· Demonstrated supervisory and budgetary skills.
· Must have superb time management skills; be detail-oriented; highly organized and be able to handle multiple tasks, adhere to deadlines and work independently and as part of a team. A motivated self-starter who is flexible, courteous and tactful in dealing with staff and others.
· Creative, resourceful, entrepreneurial mindset, with roll up your sleeves mentality.
· Ability to act with diplomacy and discretion at all organizational levels and across departments, including maintaining confidentiality.
· Passion for the Rubin Museum, Himalayan art, New York City cultural organizations, Buddhism or Asian philosophies and worldviews.
· Proficiency in Microsoft, Excel/Word/PowerPoint; Raisers Edge or other donor databases; Google Drive experience a plus.
Salary: Mid-$80k to Low-$100k
The Rubin Museum offers a generous and competitive benefits package.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please provide the following as part of your application:
• Complete resume.
• A cover letter addressing both your interest in the Rubin Museum, and your
qualifications for this position.
· Please indicate Head of Major Gifts on Subject Line of email or in body of cover letter.
· Applications in electronic format preferred, and accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Mailed applications – Head of Human Resources, Rubin Museum of Art, 150 West 17th Street, New York, NY 10011.