District of Columbia
Founded in 1921, Society for Science & the Public is a highly interdisciplinary organization and one of the nation’s oldest non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations dedicated to public engagement in science and science education. The Society is headquartered in Washington, D.C. and its mission is to engage the public in science. Our vision is to promote the understanding and appreciation of science and the vital role it plays in human advancement: to inform, educate and inspire.
The senior accountant reports to the Finance Director.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in an accounting or finance department (accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting). The candidate will be a problem solver from identification to resolution.
Senior Accountant Duties:
- Manage the program grants, including working directly with Program Managers to accurately record program liabilities for grants and awards
- Provide detailed analysis and reporting on grant performance
- Review and code program expenses to the appropriate general ledger accounts;
- Identify and Implement process improvements
- Manage and reconcile the net assets on a monthly basis.
- Prepare and enter journal entries on a daily basis.
- Analyze and reconcile assigned general ledger accounts on a monthly basis (including cash, investments, contribution, revenue and magazine related accounts).
- Prepare and process all cash receipts, credit card receipts, and invoice transactions on a daily/weekly basis. Processing includes invoicing, preparing and making bank deposits, coding, data entry into the general ledger and follow up on outstanding receivables.
- Assist with preparation for financial audits and other reports as needed.
- Serves as backup for other accounting staff in payroll and cash disbursement processes.
- Perform account analysis, as well as financial statement compilation for monthly closing process; draft the monthly financial statements.
- Manage Accounts Receivable and invoicing for Science News, Advertising, Special Awards, and other billable areas.
- Perform quarterly budget review, as needed; assist in yearly budget compilation and periodic forecasts.
- Perform analysis and compilation of information necessary for filing required tax returns including but not limited to Form 990 and 990-T,941, and 1042, DC Return, and Canadian GST.
- Distribute petty cash as needed.
- Assist with administrative duties, as needed.
- Other duties, as may be assigned.
Education & Skills Required:
- Candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Candidate will have 3-5 years in related experience in G/L, A/P, A/R functions and accounting for payroll
- Candidate will have experience in budgeting and forecasting as wells performing detailed analysis and variance explanations.
- Candidate will have experience with general ledger (preferably with Sage MIP/Abila),
- Advance skills using spreadsheet(Excel), word processing and other Microsoft office software.
- Candidate will be detail oriented and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Experience with not-for-profit accounting is preferred.
The Society is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Society for Science & the Public is committed to equal employment opportunity. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, the Society does not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally recognized basis, including but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identify or expression, ancestry, national origin, disability, personal appearance, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, age and/or any other categories protected by the laws of the United States or the District of Columbia.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
- Emails should include “Senior Accountant” in the subject line. They can be addressed to Edward Maxwell, Finance Director. No phone calls please.
- To learn more about Society for Science & the Public, please visit www.societyforscience.org.