For Los Angeles Times Contract Campaign and Local Formation
The NewsGuild-CWA seeks a highly experienced and motivated campaign lead to serve as a mobilizer, organizer and administrator for a newly-certified bargaining unit at the Los Angeles Times.
The position is initially slated to last a year but is subject to possible extension.
The ideal candidate will have the organizational and strategic skills necessary to inspire and activate members to take collective action in support of a first contract. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to union values and possess extensive experience and knowledge of the administration of a local union.
The campaign lead will work with local leaders and activists to strengthen the community of the L.A. Guild.
The position will be based in Los Angeles and work with local leaders, activists and national staff. The position will report to TNG-CWA national officers and staff.
- Assist the local in building a strong campaign for a first contract.
- Implement processes for membership involvement in the campaign to support bargaining
- Coordinate resources and track progress of mobilization and bargaining
- Support L.A. Guild members in their efforts to establish a strong and healthy new local with a democratic and participatory governance structure
- Serve as a liaison between the local and the national union
REQUIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience with union member mobilization and membership recruitment
- Ability to initiate on-on-one conversations
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work under minimal supervision
- Knowledge of union locals and unionized workplaces
- Willingness to work hours as needed to complete projects in support of the contract campaign
- Highly organized, able to multitask in a campaign environment
- Ability to work within a team, delegating, training and coaching team members as needed
- Passion for fighting for equality and justice
A more detailed job description, contained in the union contract, will be provided to applicants selected for an interview.
ABOUT THE NEWSGUILD-CWA
The NewsGuild is part of the 600,000 member Communications Workers of America. Representing over 30,000 members, TNG is the recognized workplace voice for news workers across the country. Elected leadership seeks to support mobilizing efforts at the newly organized L.A. Times Guild to energize members and build power at the negotiating table to gain a first contract.
This position is under a collective bargaining agreement that provides excellent benefits and negotiated wages increases through 2022. The current salary ranges from $64,141.81 to $81,389.87 based on experience.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “L.A. Times Campaign Lead.” Please include any required salary or acceptable wage range.
Applications will be reviewed March 20, 2018 and interviews will be scheduled shortly thereafter. Late applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The NewsGuild-CWA is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com using the subject line “L.A. Times Campaign Lead.”