The Chief People Officer provides overall strategic HR leadership to XQ, serves as a Business Partner to the senior team, and supports the CEO in optimizing XQ’s workplace culture. This person will oversee the development and implementation of all Human Resources policies, programs, and services, including talent acquisition, legal compliance, compensation and benefits, employee relations, payroll, training and development, employment practices and procedures, and HR information systems.
With a dual reporting structure to the CEO and the CAO, the Chief People Officer participates as requested in strategic leadership discussions with the senior team. The Chief is accountable for establishing and implementing strategic objectives, short and long-term goals, and strategies relative to XQ’s current and future workforce. With the oversight of the CEO and CAO, this Chief develops and coaches managers at all levels to build an engaged workforce, implement a positive culture, and achieve company goals.
As a leader based in the Oakland office, the Chief People Officer will also have responsibility for setting expectations and maintaining appropriate norms and practices across XQ’s workforce. This responsibility includes establishing parameters for respectful and productive collaborations between XQ’s employees and network of partners and supporting managers in holding their teams accountable for living up to XQ’s cultural ideals.
- Provide HR leadership and support to all employees as needed.
- Select, develop and lead Human Resource professionals—either internal to XQ or as partners—with the goal of earning credibility as an effective and responsive partner that anticipates XQ’s needs and growth plans.
- Serve as internal advisor to XQ’s managers and employees, as needed, on Employee issues that affect performance or business relationships.
- Ensure employee relations are handled smoothly, accurately and with discretion. Work with appropriate team members and partners to manage employee claims; provide assistance and/or review of investigations/dispute resolution as needed. Consult legal counsel for advice on situations with inherent risk.
- Partner with and create alignment with all areas of the organization to accomplish company objectives.
- Develop and implement human resources strategies and tactics that enable XQ’s business objectives
Compensation & Benefits
- Partner with CAO and CEO, potentially with HR leaders at Emerson Collective, to manage and implement all XQ benefits renewal processes including carrier negotiation, plan selections, contribution strategies, 401K, etc.
- Review and oversee the compensation and benefits programs across XQ; ensure that benefit programs continue to meet the needs of both the employees and XQ.
- Ensure that compensation and bonus programs are aligned with organizational objectives and pay-for-performance strategies.
- Partner with senior team to define the XQ culture in terms that emphasize quality of work, continuous improvement, and high performance.
- Partner with managers to create an enjoyable and rewarding workplace for all employees, promote a positive environment, and ensure that norms and practices for working at XQ are consistent with our mission and goals.
- Implement programs, policies and practices designed to enhance employee engagement, reduce turnover, empower diversity and inclusion, and ensure legal compliance.
- Define talent acquisition processes that attract and retain “best in class” employees. Partner with managers to ensure that positions are filled in a timely manner with the most qualified and best culturally aligned candidates.
- Participate in the interview process for senior employees.
Training & Development
- Oversee all training and development needs for the organization and ensure that all programs align with company strategies.
- Oversee the company’s performance management process.
- As needed, define considerations and processes to support succession planning, personal and career development, competency profiling and other needed development strategies.
- Support senior team in defining and implementing rewards and recognition tools and standards.
Processes & Systems
- Create and document all HR processes within each discipline of Human Resources.
- Oversee personnel record keeping, HR information systems, and the management of all HR data.
- In conjunction with CAO and Finance, ensure that payroll function delivers accurate and timely payroll processing and compliance with all applicable wage and hour laws
- Plan and deliver to HR budget, in alignment with XQ annual budgets and business plans.
- As needed, identify and contract with business partners whose work aligns with XQ culture and values.
- Implement and maintain a safe work environment.
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable laws regarding human resources.
- Manage all regulatory reporting and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Oversee the internal “all hands” meetings to ensure that they are run effectively and focus on areas that are most pressing or important to the broader organization.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least 10 years’ experience in a senior HR role with demonstrated experience and/or expertise in the full breadth of HR practices in a mid-to-large sized organization.
- Comfortable leading in an environment where the leader is also a contributing team member to the daily HR operations.
- Show engagement, motivation, and respect for XQ’s unique characteristics
- Be mission-driven around Reinventing High School
- Demonstrate extraordinary confidentiality
- Be experienced and adept at interacting at all levels.
- Thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced work environment
- Be successful as a builder of collaborative, high performance teams
- Contribute at both a strategic and operational level
- Excellent verbal and written communication, conflict-resolution, and problem-solving skills
- Must have strong leadership, managerial and organizational skills
- Show unquestionable ethical standards and integrity
- Have depth and breadth in human resources with experience in all major HR functions
- Be proactive in conceiving, initiating and executing events and programs relevant to the organization’s culture.
- Contribute at both a strategic and operational level.
- Experience with non-profit or education-oriented organizations is desirable
- XQ Institute offers competitive benefits and salary for this role.
XQ is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. At XQ promoting, celebrating, and supporting diversity is a core value. Individuals are considered without regards to race, gender, age, sexual orientation, sexual expression, religion, color, veteran status, disability, marital status, or ancestry.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- When applying online, please provide a cover letter.