Details: Depends on experience.
317 Lenox Avenue, 10th Floor
THE NEIGHBORHOOD DEFENDER SERVICE OF HARLEM (NDS) is a community-based, client-centered, holistic public defense office located in Harlem, providing criminal, civil, and family representation. NDS Clients are represented by multidisciplinary teams. NDS is accepting applications for the position of Paralegal with the Homicide Defense Team.
The Homicide Defense Team at NDS represents residents of Northern Manhattan who are charged with homicide and who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. Clients are represented by a team comprised of a staff attorney, an investigator, a mitigation specialist, and a paralegal. NDS also provides pre-arrest representation to clients under threat of arrest. NDS adheres to a client-centered approach to representation that emphasizes a heightened responsiveness to clients’ needs prior to arrest, while a case is pending, and after the case concludes. NDS is committed to addressing the comprehensive legal and social service needs of clients.
TITLE: Paralegal – Homicide Defense Team
1. Enter data regarding NDS’ clients and cases promptly, accurately and completely into the case management system.
2. Maintain the integrity of the case management system’s database.
3. Work as part of the interdisciplinary team, including attorneys and other non-attorney advocates.
4. Frequent phone contact with clients, their families, legal and social work providers, the court, and attorneys.
5. Foster communication between various team members.
6. Assist with legal research and writing, and with the preparation of motion papers, pre-pleading memoranda, trial exhibits, and other presentations.
1. Must possess a demonstrated commitment to criminal justice, indigent defense, social justice issues and/or the Harlem communities.
2. Must possess experience in word processing and a basic knowledge of computer usage in a network environment.
3. Must possess strong organizational skills in order to manage a high caseload in a very fast-paced environment.
4. Must possess excellent interpersonal, analytical, writing, and communication skills.
5. Must be able to work cooperatively in a team setting.
6. Bilingual applicants are encouraged to apply.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
The Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem is committed to creating a diverse environment that reflects the community we serve. NDS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Full medical and dental benefits, as well as other benefits, are provided.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish language fluency is preferred.
Minimum Education Required