160 Fifth Avenue
The Simons Foundation has an opening for an Events Assistant to join the events team. Reporting to the Director of Events and Conferences, the Events Assistant will provide support for the development, planning and execution of more than 100 yearly events. These include on-site annual research conferences, scientific meetings and workshops. The department also plans and executes large social functions for up to 600 guests.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the Director of Events and Conferences with tasks associated with logistics before, during and after events, including ground transportation, facilities management, on-site and off-site meals, and more.
- Research and maintain lists and contacts for off-site venues for meeting space, meals and accommodations, as well as restaurants and caterers.
- Research new and innovative event supplies for efficient and/or unique presentations to guests.
- Meet with events team to review upcoming meetings/workshops requiring meals/breaks and pre-/post-meeting dinners and make the necessary arrangements.
- Communicate beverage and meal assistance needs to the hospitality staff.
- Track items stored in the auditorium pantry and submit and manage orders for replenishing multiple event spaces.
- Maintain written inventory of dishware in the auditoria and event spaces, purchasing new items and/or replace damaged items as necessary.
- Oversee perishable items for date expirations and ensure the refrigerators and shelves are kept tidy.
- Work with meeting point person and track attendee counts for meal orders for both internal staff and guests.
- Supervise or create production collateral as needed: name badges, program materials, etc.
- Prepare annual calendar menu items for staff events and meetings.
- Compile annual report of auditorium usage across all departments.
- Review events calendar and work with staff and security to ensure program preparations are completed on time, paying close attention to events with quick setup turnarounds.
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- At least two years of previous events experience
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Proven effectiveness in working with diverse client/participant groups, managing budgets and logistics.
- Team player but can also work independently.
- Skilled at managing projects with tight deadlines and many details in a fast-paced environment.
- Previous experience with on-site event management including setup, registration, venue logistics and audio/visual needs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, effective troubleshooting skills and good judgment.
- Must be willing and able to work evenings and early mornings with occasional weekends and travel.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel) is required.
- Previous work in research or academic settings is a plus.
- Basic knowledge of audiovisual equipment and desktop publishing software is preferred.
The Simons Foundation's Diversity Commitment
- Please submit a resume and cover letter stating your interest in the position.
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/6ewRxOcMJBzgcM4bSBX27" />