Details: Commensurate with experience.
District of Columbia
- Lead development strategy and fundraising activities for the organization
- Manage grant proposals, grant reports and grant deliverables
- Cultivate donor base and build fundraising pipe-line
- Supervises Development Operations Associate
40 Hrs (flexibility of hours per Employee Handbook Policy)
2-5 times a year, and as required
The Director of Development provides the leadership, strategic direction, management and coordination for all Afterschool Alliance fundraising efforts. The Director of Development creates fundraising strategies to increase the organization's support from foundations, corporations, individuals, and other sources; works in close collaboration with the Executive Director, the Vice President of External Affairs, other senior staff, Board Members, and the program and communciation staff to expand and enhance the fundraising and strategic goals of the organization. The Director of Development leads the efforts on all grant proposals, grant reports and grant deliverables. The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director.
Responsibilities & Tasks
• Collaborate with the Director of Research to develop the organization’s research goals and workplan
• Collaborate with the policy team to develop the organization’s policy agenda and workplan
• Coordinate strategy across organizational teams to ensure that research and policy efforts are complementary and well executed
• Build and maintain strategic relationships, including funder relations, in support of research and policy goals
• Position the Afterschool Alliance as a thought leader and convenor for the afterschool community on timely topics such as social and emotional learning (SEL), juvenile crome prevention, STEM education, health & wellness issues, rural education, ESSA implementation, etc.
• Ensure that policy and research efforts are linked closely to state and local needs, successes and/or challenges
• Contribute to overall organizational strategy, annual work plan, budget, development and efforts to promote organizational excellence
• Write (with the support of the team) grant proposals and grant reports.
• Supervise the Development Operations Associate
• Equip staff and board with donor-solicitation materials for enabling team members in their fundraising efforts
• Maintain up to date donor webpage on the organizational website
• Work with the team on identifying organizational funding needs
• Represent the Afterschool Alliance in public settings including conferences, briefings, and media events
• Help to build and maintain relations with government entities at the federal, state, and local levels
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Ability to research and cultivate funding prospects, and procure organizational funding from private, corporate and governmental entities.
• Coalition building and management skills
• Strong understanding of afterschool, education, youth development and/or child care research and policy
• Flexibility, multitasking and leadership skills
• Excellent research skills and demonstrated ability to effectively utilize research to
• Demonstrated ability to contribute to senior management, including organizational strategy, fundraising, budget development and strategies to promote organizational excellence
Compensation and terms
Commensurate with experience. This position is supported with health insurance partly funded by employer, retirement plan 403(b) and applicable self-funded employee benefits. Organization provides paid holidays as listed in the employee handbook.
Level of Language Proficiency
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• Work experience, in the education or youth development fields preferred
• Experience, linking development, fundraising, research and policy efforts
• Strong passion and commitment to the Afterschool and summer learning space
• Excellent research, communication and writing skills
• Experience supervising a team and coordinating projects across multiple teams
• Three professional references
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply send your resume, a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for this position to HR@afterschoolalliance.org.
Afterschool Alliance reserves the right to update position description and responsibilities as needed.
Equal Opportunity Employer