The Social Media and Communications Specialist owns and maintains AOM’s social media channels, develops and writes copy for AOM activities across all communication channels and assists with overall digital marketing functions. Reporting to the Director of Communications and Marketing, the Social Media and Communications Specialist is responsible for representing and maintaining AOM’s external voice and presentation as part of an integrated digital marketing strategy. In addition, this position works closely with internal departments to develop communications themes and voices as well as develop and execute social media campaigns in collaboration with AOM’s external PR firm.
- Responsible for the daily maintenance and growth of AOM’s social media channels (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube), including ongoing posting and real-time listening and audience engagement.
- Monitor and manage AOM’s presence across social channels and identify and execute engagement tactics, incorporating keywords and promotions to increase followers and engagement while growing brand awareness.
- In collaboration with the Communications and Marketing Team and AOM’s PR firm, assist in the development and implementation of social media strategy through quarterly and annual goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to identify audience and channel segmentation tactics.
- Work with the PR Core Team to create monthly content calendars.
- Identify and manage appropriate tags and handles to create effective and engaging social posts that align with AOM’s brand and audience.
- Interact with followers and identify key influencers to deeply engage with AOM to grow brand awareness.
- Plan, execute and measure post segmentation, A/B testing and conversion pathways.
- Create, execute and maintain social media advertising campaigns.
- Oversee and guide AOM’s division and journal social media channels as needed.
Writing and Editing
- Develop, write and edit communications copy for AOM’s email and social media campaigns, newsletter, website and other projects as needed.
- Manage and execute the review and revision process for AOM copy across multiple departments.
- Collaborate with communications and web managers to optimize website and email communications.
- Support the web team in the development of website personalization copy and creation of social to web goals and benchmarks.
- Analyze, report and provide recommendations for the improvement of AOM’s institutional voice and talking points to increase awareness and engagement.
- Develop, evaluate and oversee the implementation of A/B copy testing protocols and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Communications and Marketing Team, create and execute digital marketing campaigns for creating pathways to and from AOM’s social media channels to create deeper engagement and increased acquisition among global members and audiences.
- Responsible for identifying marketing segments and lists to target activities that increase engagement with a global audience.
- Monitor, compile and create monthly performance reports across all social media channels, and work closely with the Director to analyze and optimize campaigns and KPI goals.
- Make data-informed decisions to suggest future marketing activities and campaigns.
- Identify trends and conversion behavior to recommend social campaigns to increase engagement with and grow AOM’s audiences worldwide.
- Develop new innovative approaches to digital marketing for both internal and external AOM audiences.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in English, communications, journalism, marketing or a related field.
- Five years’ experience working in social media within progressively responsible positions.
- Three to five years’ experience writing social, email and web copy.
- One to three years’ experience working in digital marketing and analysis.
- Experience in setting up, maintaining, optimizing and reporting on advertising campaigns through Google AdWords, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Experience in identifying target audiences and writing campaign copy that engages, informs and motivates.
- Experience in creating marketing content to support marketing communications campaigns.
- Demonstrated strength utilizing digital tools, including email marketing, SEO/SEM, marketing database, online collaboration, social media, online research, web marketing and display ad campaigns and upcoming trends.
- Experience in optimizing landing pages and user communication funnels.
- Experience with A/B and multivariate experiments.
- Working knowledge of digital analytics tools (Google Analytics certification a plus).
- Working knowledge of Microsoft 365 and Adobe Creative Suite applications.
Skills and Abilities
- Proven skill and ability to write marketing copy across multiple media channels including email, social and web.
- Excellent copyediting skills and meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills and data-driven thinking to execute on effective marketing communications plans.
- Ability to work in deadline-driven global environment.
- Highly developed service orientation, communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills to foster and develop relationships among staff and external vendors.
- Sound decision making, critical thinking and problem-solving ability.
- Ability to take ownership and initiate, coordinate, manage and execute multi-faceted projects.
- Solid work ethic, personal integrity and high professional standards.
- Strong technology aptitude and computer skills with the ability to quickly learn and navigate new systems.
- Experience in collaborating with remote teams and the ability to enlist internal stakeholders on multiple projects.
- Demonstrated ability as a creative and strategic thinker, and collaborator across the organization.
- Ability to understand and appreciate the needs of the association industry and academic market.
Periodic domestic and international travel to meetings and conferences required, about 5% annually. Travel typically includes use of various methods of transportation (car, plane, rail), depending on the location.