Details: The salary for this position is commensurate with experience
55 West 125th Street
The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood.
UMEZ is an independent not-for-profit corporation created in 1995 and has invested $250 million in the Upper Manhattan community, leveraging over 1.1 billion in private capital, and has funded 100 small businesses.
In 2017, UMEZ became a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund as a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Job Title: Community Lending Officer
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: The Community Lending Officer will work with the Business Investment team to develop relationships and serve as the liaison to community-based organizations, community banks, and local chambers and commerce. Under the direction of the Business Investments lead, this role is responsible for interfacing with clients and counseling to small business owners and entrepreneurs who seek funding for small business projects. This role will conduct outreach in an effort to develop new lending opportunities within the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other duties may be assigned:
- Work with the Business Investment team to identify, develop, and expand lending opportunities
- Work with the Business Investment team to develop relationships and serve as liaison to community-based organizations, community banks, and local chambers and commerce
- Under the direction of the Business Investments lead, interface and provide one-on-one counseling and customer support to small business in order to assist them secure business development assistance and capital
- Assist local entrepreneurs and strategizing with them to overcome business development issues; advises clients on the loan application process and basic criteria used to determine credit worthiness
- Visit client’s and loan applicants’ business location to verify information, check on progress and offer technical assistance, referrals, and follow-up when necessary
- Assist the Business Investment team by providing recommendations, preparing a written analysis, and presenting both oral and written to the BRISC Loan committee loans
- May be asked to attend non-work hours events or meetings as it relates to engaging and representing UMEZ’s mission to cultivate community partnerships
Background & Experience:
- Experience in lending and credit training
- 3-5 years in lending experience
- Excellent business development, outreach, and follow-up skills
- Must be able to engage in a tactful manner with potential borrowers, existing borrowers, and community partners
- Strong interpersonal, and communications skills
- Community residence and/or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community preferred
- An energetic and resourceful person with a strong interest in community engagement
- A self starter; a team player; a strategic thinker; a creative problem solver
Undergraduate degree in business or a related field.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary.
Minimum Education Required