Child Trends is seeking an hourly editor (part-time) with a solid understanding of the social sciences, who can clearly and accurately describe research findings. The editor will work with the full-time editor, researchers, and communications team members to edit content for target audiences, including federal, state, and local policymakers, practitioners and other stakeholders, the media, and philanthropy. The successful candidate will work remotely and report to the full-time editor, who is located in Child Trends’ Bethesda, MD office.
This position will be performed remotely, so the successful candidate must have regular access to a high-quality internet connection and the necessary computer hardware and software.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit research reports and briefs, proposals, fact sheets, news releases, web copy, e-newsletters, and other publications as assigned.
- Recommend structure and style changes to improve ability to communicate effectively.
- Copyedit in accordance with organizational style.
- Stay abreast of current events and understand connections between those and Child Trends’ work in multiple research areas; apply that knowledge to make writing relevant in evolving policy arenas.
- Help maintain Child Trends’ reputation as a nonpartisan, independent organization that produces high-quality research.
- Other duties as needed.
- Three to five years’ editing experience in a field related to Child Trends’ work.
- Experience editing a range of communication materials for policy, research, philanthropic, and media/layperson audiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, social science, or related discipline.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and perform well under the pressure of competing deadlines and time constraints.
- Curious, independent, critical thinker.
- Works well with others.
- Must be highly proficient with Microsoft products (especially Word and Outlook).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Complete online application directly on our website. When asked by the system to upload resume, please upload one document that includes your resume and cover letter. Your resume will not be considered without a cover letter. If you experience any difficulties with this process please email your attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be scheduled with top applicants. No phone calls please.