Golden Gate Education Director
Who We Are:
NatureBridge provides environmental science education experiences for more than 30,000 students and their teachers every year in the world’s best classrooms: our National Parks. Our mission is to connect young people to the science and wonder of the natural world, igniting self-discovery and inspiring stewardship of the planet.
What You Will Do:
As the Education Director of our Golden Gate Campus, you will report to the National Director of Education and be responsible for overseeing the quality and consistency of educational programming for students who attend our Golden Gate programs. You will lead the Golden Gate Education Team and represent the Education Department in cross-departmental work on campus, as well as in nation-wide organizational initiatives and with local and regional partners. We have expanded recently to an additional site and you will support our growing program there. This job requires regular attendance on campus in Sausalito at Fort Cronkhite.
Your primary job will be to:
- Oversee educational programming, including the addition of two lab spaces
- Provide leadership to the Golden Gate Education Team, including culturally-relevant supervision and coaching of Educators and Education Managers. You will supervise two Education Managers and up to three Educators.
- Work in concert with other campus Education Directors and the National Director of Education connecting Golden Gate educational programs and NatureBridge-wide program initiatives and partnerships.
- Foster a positive and inclusive work community culture, and establish supportive relationships with staff, board members, and participants.
- Ensure high-quality educational programming and act as a resource on pedagogical theory and best practices, especially about Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Social-Emotional Learning (SEL), and topics such as inquiry-based learning and responsible environmental behavior. Access and understand education trends, education research and pushes our program towards excellence and joy in the pursuit of strong teaching.
- Use the NatureBridge Equity, Inclusion & Diversity framework to drive personal, professional, and departmental goals.
- Work with our National Park partners and represent NatureBridge in our local and regional communities.
- Support development efforts, including reporting, cultivating potential donors, attending development functions, and monitoring grant budgets.
- $66,000 - $70,000 annually
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Option for a 403b retirement plan with employer match after six months
- Generous paid vacation, training days and sick leave
- Other benefits include Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and more
Who You Are:
- Have an approach to problem-solving that is flexible, creative, and strategic.
- Have a growth mindset, and 4+ years of experience leading successful and collaborative teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion in education, and creating positive community work culture. We especially encourage you to apply if you have lived experience as a member of (or extensive experience working with people from) any communities that are impacted by the historic and current system of oppression that has limited access to environmental education, or the outdoors in general.
- Strong pedagogical foundations and understanding of current research in experiential and inquiry-based learning, social emotional learning, inclusive education practices and science and phenomena-based curricula.
- Effectively able to balance priorities while managing multiple staff, projects, and deliverables; you can make the hard call when necessary and communicate your reasoning clearly.
- Ability to manage and maintain a departmental budget.
- Inspired by NatureBridge’s mission and value the development of environmental literacy through environmental science and nature education.
- Current Wilderness First Responder and CPR, AED or willingness to acquire upon hire.
If you are interested in the role and do not meet every requirement listed, please still apply! We are interested in applicants with unique lived experience and skill sets.
Why should you join the NatureBridge team at Golden Gate?
- You want to work for a mission-driven organization that values your contributions and supports you in making a positive impact on youth and the environment.
- You will work in a beautiful setting in Golden Gate National Recreation Area with dedicated, passionate team members.
- You want to be part of an organization that is invested in creating equitable and inclusive environments for staff and participants.
How To Apply:
NatureBridge is an Equal opportunity employer. Please submit a resume and respond to the application questions in our online Career Portal (link). Applications are due June 2, 2023 by midnight.