Senior Director of Community Based Health
- Job posted by Foundation for Healthy Generations (HealthyGen)
Foundation for Healthy Generations is looking for an experienced, social and health equity oriented, community health professional to join our Senior Leadership team. This individual reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for leadership and growth of our Community Based Health Framework that aims to promote health equity through the development of a Community Health Worker Workforce.
The ideal candidate will have exceptional leadership and communication skills with the ability to cultivate relationships with other leaders in community health such as executives at Washington’s Accountable Communities of Health, State Department of Health, Washington state Health Care Authority, community health clinics, Community Health Workers (CHW’s) across the state. This person will have an ability to operationalize the fight for health equity and bring the voices from communities' experiencing health inequities to the forefront in every discussion about community health. We need a doer and someone who is skilled at connecting with and being trusted by both the community and partners in health systems.
Our organization expects each employee to make a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to adjust the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee recognizes the importance of ensure the success of our endeavors.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and support to both Healthy Generations team members and external partners on existing and emerging community-based health initiatives
- Follow and influence statewide healthcare reform efforts and build authentic community engagement fits into the picture
- Actively advocate for the communities often not included at the table in health care policy and systems design
- Coordinate and collaborate with Healthy Generations staff, external stakeholders, contractors and community members on the development and implementation of strategies that promote community-based disease prevention and reduce health inequities
- Participate in programmatic strategic planning including:
- Facilitating meetings
- Co-creating materials and learning with Healthy Generations' team and external partners
- Collaborate on program evaluation and data collection strategies
- Maintain ongoing connection to the changing landscape of external stakeholders and contractors related to community-based heath
- Contribute as a member of Healthy Generations' Senior Leadership team
- Manage funder contracts and agreements and ensure fulfillment of obligations and appropriate use of resources
- Manage program budget and subcontracts for several projects
Training, Collaboration and Consultation:
- Lead the Community Based Health teams in the development and implementation authentic community engagement strategies using Community Health Workers in communities subject to health inequity
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to supervisors and program leads working with or developing Community Health Worker programs around the state
- Establish, build and maintain relationships with collaborating agencies focused on community-based health
- Provide statewide leadership in implementation of Pathways care coordination model
- Support Healthy Gen team members and external partners on large current community-based health initiatives
- Oversee operational implementation of initiatives and grant proposals including:
- Preparing written materials
- Developing work plans with Healthy Gen team members and external partners
· Monitor and pursue opportunities to disseminate learnings about community health strategy to local, state and national audiences of professional colleagues through written communications and/or conference presentations
Coaching, training, supervision for CBH Team:
· Lead the strategic and business planning process to develop short and long-term business and organizational goals and objectives.
- Design and deploy process for setting department priorities driven by strategic planning cycle and business plan, including regular check-ins and adjustments to address real-time changes driven by executive leadership and market factors.
- Set direction for skills assessment, career planning, staff development, performance agreements and evaluations to ensure alignment of individual and department work with business goals.
· Build, retain, and inspire a team who are experts in their subject-matter area.
- Unite the team to execute on a collaborative, cross-functional, shared mission.
- Mentor, coach, and develop the skills of the existing team to create productive, passionate, and creatively-challenge individual contributors. (We want managers who care about their teams.)
- Excellent clinical skills and experience coaching and/or supervising people of diverse backgrounds and identities
- Familiarity and professional experience with Community Health Workers and Care Coordination models
- Master’s degree in Social Work, Public Health, or other applicable discipline –OR at least 8-10 years’ experience in social work and community-based health systems; additional years’ professional experience may be substituted for educational requirement
- Extensive skills in training, skill building, and consultation
- At least seven years of experience leading moderate sized to large teams including helping teams navigate through times of significant change.
- Planning, designing, and implementing evidenced based community health strategies
- Demonstrated experience connecting with underserved people including communities of color, immigrant and refugee communities, and the LGBTQ+ community, and people living on low income
- Deep understanding and proven ability to work with the communities' experiencing health inequity. Experience working in, or in support of community health care
- Experience and understanding of systems change and, in particular healthcare transformation
- Demonstrated commitment to social and health equity
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
Hours: Full Time, 40 hours/week, hourly, FLSA status: exempt, not eligible for overtime pay. Schedule is typically Mon – Fri 8am-5pm, limited evening or weekend hours may be required.
Travel: Job requires up to 15% travel, typically in Western Washington and occasionally out of state for conferences or consultation. Candidate should expect to be the office in Seattle four to five days per week.
Healthy Generations Team Agreements (Be aware of and comfortable with our team agreements)
- Positive Intent: We assume positive intent on the part of others and know that everyone is working hard & doing their best. While assuming positive intent, we work to create intentional space and safety for the tougher conversations and debriefs.
- Accountability: We hold ourselves accountable to the mission, each other, our clients and to our commitments. We do what we say we will do, walking our talk while also honoring each other’s limits.
- Conscious Communication: We are mindful in our communication and demonstrate a willingness to style flex. We communicate directly, respectfully, timely and openly. We care enough to challenge each other’s ideas, communicate our needs & expectations and share our limitations. We engage in constructive conflict – addressing the issue, not attacking the person.
- Synergy: We work cross functionally, sharing information with each other freely in support of fulfilling our mission. In sharing, we provide context for the conversation and are thoughtful about connecting what we know to the agency’s bigger picture.
- Planned Pauses: We are a learning community and plan pauses to review and re-evaluate our strategy, structure, practices, and processes as well as celebrate our successes. We periodically pause to have unstructured and reflective time. We value and seek out diverse points of view to inform our work and look to adapt, learn from our mistakes & continuously improve.
Generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, LTD, 403(B) plan, paid time off and 10 paid company holidays
Minimum Education Required