108-25 62nd Drive
Borough of Queens
STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $37,000 w/ Comprehensive Benefits Package
Schedule: 35 hours per week; M-F
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities.
We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. We are seeking a qualified Housing Specialist with a strong commitment to client service to work in our Eviction Prevention Program. The Eviction Prevention Program assists families that are at-risk of homelessness to maintain their existing housing or those that are homeless to transition into new permanent housing. The ideal candidate must possess knowledge of housing court regulations, entitlements and must be able to develop and cultivate relationships with landlords, rental agencies, community organizations, and service agencies.
- Provide a variety of office and field activities, and direct client service to manage and monitor a housing and transition program for individuals and families.
- Conduct assessment of apartments by: Inspections of unit, review of property registrations with the Department of Buildings, Housing Preservation and Development, and the Department of Finance.
- Explain, interpret, and apply Housing policies, procedures, and regulations in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Manage housing assistance case load to facilitate effective, efficient, and timely service delivery; conduct intakes and assessments.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with interested or participating landlords, rental agencies, community organizations, service agencies, and charitable groups.
- Act as a liaison to provide information on leads and needed resources.
- Negotiate and prepare contracts between participants, landlords, and other housing agencies.
- Provide participant support by developing goals and service plans, mediating participant issues and conducting home and shelter visits.
- Participate in meetings, training and staff development activities.
- Enter collected data into an HMIS information system
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Services, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years' of experience working in similar setting providing direct client service and engaging in field activities.
- Knowledge of NYC housing practices, court regulations and actions.
- Familiarity with general casework management principles as they apply to low income housing assistance programs and socioeconomic issues.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Housing Specialist” to Marilyn Sotomayor at email@example.com or mail to:
Queens Community House
Homelessness Prevention Program
165-08 88th Avenue- Room 217
Jamaica, NY 11432
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Minimum Education Required